Schroeder 310212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Has anyone given this cab a try as a stand alone cab? how does this thing compete volume wise with say an 810?

And what are its tonal characteristics?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its wayyy louder than an Ampeg 810 fridge. This cab has exceptional lows and highs, but when I played it it sounded pretty flat across the spectrum with quite present but not overpowering mids as well. Definately not muddy like an Ampeg, very clear and hi fi sounding. Quite compact as well. I ended up choosing a Bergie 610 over it because I like a more colored and warm tone.
  3. so the schroeder is pretty uncoloured then!? I've heard you need to push the schroeders quite hard befor ethey start to put out their best tone?
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That may be true, and if it is then I probabally did not push it hard enough. I did notice a bit of a mid bump but not too much.
  5. A bit of mid bump is good, sounds crappy by itself, but great with the band! I used to think a flat cab was better, until I tried the Eden XST, then I changed my mind and decided that mids are good, otherwise you have to push your amp way too hard to get the same perceived volume...

Just My Opinion. I'd really like to hear what the schroeders are like, everyone here speaks very highly of them, and the 310212 seems like the perfect all in one cab for me...
  6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I doubt you'd need a 3101212.. I really do.

I've played venues with my 410 where others 8x10s (Eden, Ampeg and Lab Systems) were all getting drowned out, yet my 410 cut through easily without the V8 breaking a sweat.

I wouldn't call it uncoloured.. It definently is. It's got a certain thump to it, with a 'woody' sort of sound. Duno really.. It's hard to explain.. Certainly hits you in the chest though.
  7. cool, thanx Popinfresh.

But I need an 810 just to hear myself onstage at the moment!
    I can get away with a smaller 410 cab at most of the smaller venues, but at least 50% of the time I need the extra cab ...

Jorg assures me that the 310212 will more than solve my problem!
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Having downsized from a 4x10 with a 1x12 to a single Schroeder 1212, I have to say I can't imagine how ridiculously loud a 310212 is.
  9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I use the Schroeder 410 with a 500 watt head and I agree with this statement. I haven't heard that cab but I a/b'd the 1210, 1212, 21012, & the 410 and feel that all of Jorg's cabs need to be heard to be believed.
  10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Lissen: i can tell you from experience, unless you're touring with a full orchestra, there's very little chance you're gonna need anything more than the 410. I have never heard the 310212. I can only imagine you risk serious injury to yourself and others, as well as damage to your home, if you use one unwisely. My 410 is an absolute HAMMER. Both my guitarists HATE the thing, and I have to guard it against sabotage. I give it a full 1200 watts, and it just BUMPS. And to answer another question, when you heat this thing up, it definetly starts giving you that woody mid bump some us us have been searching our whole lives for. At low volumes it sounds like any other cabinet that is relatively transparent, you do have to juice it a little to get the goods.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seems like one of those "man-sterilizing" cabs... :eek:

and how the heck did a schroe post escape that blackhole like megathread? :p
  12. Sorry to have jumped ship on the megathread, That thread is just rediculously huge now!!! Moderators feel free to move this post into the megathread if you choose, but I found that there wasn't actually that much hard info on the 310212 in that thread (although there was a handful of people who owned one?) I could really do with a review from someone who has some experience with this thing, if anyone is willing, as this seems to be the only of Jorg's cabs that hasn't seen a review yet?
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It seems that the 310212 isnt too much louder than a 21012 or 410, with a max of 1 DB between any two of em... It does handle more watts, and the tonal characteristics are a bit different, and I could tell this even from low volumes. I think the 310212 had less of a mid bump than most of the other Schroeder cabs, which could be due to me not being able to put in as many watts per speaker into the 310212 because it gets so damn loud...
  14. So it probably does have the same mid bump, but you just need more watts to get to it?
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Why would anyone buy a cab that size without being prepared to throw at least 1000 watts at it?

16. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    SOB - I'm not trying to stear you from the 310212, but where I play 810's are being DROWNED out a lot of the time, whilst the Schroeder of mine goes right through.

We can play rediculously loud (as in, stupidly dangerous) and I havn't taken the V8 above 4 on the master! Even when I run it in half power mode (200 watt) most of the time.

The only other reason I would suggest a smaller cab over the bigger one, is that it's true that these cabs just sound better the more you push them. The louder this thing gets and the more juice I push through it, the more I love it. I think if you wanted the best tone (IMO), and potential from the Schroeder, you'd be better off with a 410/21012 (410 would cut better) and pushing it a bit more, than using the monster 310212 and not relaly opening the cab up.

But it's really up to you. The cabs don't sound bad AT ALL at lower levels, but my god, when you push through them... It's amazing!
  17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You sure that isn't your V8? Tube amps in general sound even better when pushed. Though I would agree that Schroeder cabs so sound better with more watts. What head are you using SOB?
  18. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well... I'm hardly pushing the V8 :p BUT it does sound better the louder it gets, as it did with the Mesa 1516 (Sort of the same deal with the Schroeder) and SWR's. I'm pushing the Pre tubes a bit, but hardly the power section.

I have used an Evo 500 with the Schroeder though (awesome amp). And with that, the louder it got, the better it sounded IMO.
    Of course, it's not as if it's a different cab.. But for me at least, that little bit more is a BIG step.

Then again, it sounds incredible at lower volumes... meh :p
  19. Well, I'm probably gonna be driving it with a Fender 300 Pro - at pretty damn loud volumes - its ok, I have earplugs...
  20. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ay, loud amp indeed. I seriously think you would do fine (possibly better) with the smaller box. Especially if your gonna drive it with a tube amp (ESPECIALLY if you don't mind a bit of grit) :)