1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schroeder 410 Light or Epifani ul410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by imandan, Feb 24, 2008.

1. imandan

imandan

Apr 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Looking to get a new 4x10 cab. Opinions on a Schroeder 410 light vs the Epifani ul410?
    Thanks for your help.
    I should mention that I currently play thought a epi ul310 which I like but just find myself needing more sound.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    We've got both these cabs in the store I work at. They sound nothing alike. The Epi is warmer, rounder, fuller in the lows. The Schroeder has more mids and is designed to cut through the mix. The Epi is physically bigger but it's a little lighter in weight.

I guess it depends what sort of music you play and what sort of gear you've already got as to which is better for you. Some more info in this regard will make it easier to point you in a particular direction.

3. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    +1. Accurate description...and by UL you mean series 2, right, OP?

Another +1 here. With a more "midrangey" head the Schroeder might sound unbearable. With a warmer head, the Epi might sound too "boomy." I have an MTD that needs no bass dialed in because it's big in the bass tone set flat. I have a Schroeder 410R and an Eden WT405 (what I might consider a warmer, bigger bass head) and it sounds great. When I had an LMKII (a more midrangey head, IMO) my basses all sounded...well...not that great. So, what else are you playing through?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't want to derail the thread so I'll send you a PM.

5. imandan

imandan

Apr 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    forgot to mention I'm running an Epifani ul-502 head.

6. If you did the tone of your 310UL but just need more volume, the S2 410UL would be the way to go... similar tone profile to the 310UL (both the S1 and S2... probably a little closer to the S1), but way, way, way louder and more punchy due to the bigger box.

The 410L is a differently voiced cab, as mentioned above, and will sound a lot different in both the low mids and the treble response versus your 310UL.

K

7. I just did a few gigs with the 502 and the original 410UL (I) and it was pretty killer. The upper mid grind of the original 410UL results in the 502 being a touch more punchy and aggressive than I hear it with either the 310UL (I or II) or the 410UL (II).

However, it sounds great through the 4ohm 410UL(II) also.. deep, wide and smooth, and MUCH louder than the 310UL.

8. epi head matched to an epi cab is your best bet IMO