Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder 4x10 vs. Avatar Neo 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Schroeder 4x10 1400 watts

34.7%
  2. Avatar Neo 4x10 1200 watts

20.0%
  3. other ( please state what other in thread)

20.0%
  4. you are a douche

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    :eyebrow: :( :bag: :help: :help: :help:

What are your thoughts and comparisons on these 2 cabs?

i'm thinking about getting the avatar, because its half the price, BP mag rated it awesome, its light, it can handle lots of power and a low B wickedly, and it overal looksmlike a mint cab.

The schreder, is double the price, i've heard its muddy, it handles more power, its heavier, i've heard it can destroy 8x10's almost.

i'd like some insight from all of you. THanks alot.
    ps: i'll be playing my F basses ( bn5 and bnf5) my crest ca9 and eden wt-100 stuff with it.

:D :meh:

2. Bumping. Most interested in this myself...

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think it depends on your budget, but if you can afford it go for the Schroeder Cab. Though I have never played through one, people here seem to love them. However, if you are on a budget like me and want great bang for your buck, I highly suggest the Avatar b4120 neo. Check my sig for my review.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Hell, if you can afford it, get a Schroeder 4x10 Neo... at 55lbs it's 10lbs lighter than the Avatar :)

- Ugly.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Another worthy option worth mentioning is that Musiciansfriend.com is blowing out the Aguilar S Series cabs. The S410 (4x10) is just $379! They are normally $550ish or so. I have the 2x10 version and am very impressed. I also have a GS212 (love that too). The S series just use MDF instead of plywood (some claim that MDF is actually better for bass than ply) and the driver have magnets that are not quite as beefy as the GS series (they are still U.S. made Eminence though, just like the GS drivers). THey use the same grill, crossover and horn, etc as the GS series and are made right in N.Y. just like all other Aggie products. They got a very favorable review in BP mag a little while back. Just another option...

6. I have heard that MDF is acoustically a better material for sound reproduction, but MDF weighs a ton and if it gets wet it warps and bloads up, unless Aguilar treats it with a water-proof sealer or something.

I've never tried a Schroeder, but own a B410 neo, and it's a decent cab. I'd say wait to see if dave starts using the new eminence neo speakers before you buy. On second thought, if I could afford it I'd get a schroeder light 410, based on the claims and specs alone.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I just bought my B410 Neo from Avatar a couple of weeks ago. Do you mean to tell me that there is a new eminence neo speaker than what I have?

8. i like mesa, there big and heavy but i think they sound awesome

and there probibly more then both of them.

9. I wouldn't call the shroeder muddy? That seems a bit of a strange claim...maybe you are refering more to a 1212?

IME the schroeders are pretty clean... thats almost like calling the eden 410XLT muddy?

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I picked other, I just don't like 10"s.

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not sure where you heard/read schroeder's were muddy either, especially the 4x10. When I think of schroeder sound I think the exact opposite of muddy. IE tight, punchy, and thumping while still having a good balance of highs and lows. In fact, IMO they can make a muddy head sound quite a bit less muddy.

12. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    My money? Avatar.

Your money? Schroeder.

:D

13. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Are these two cabs really comparable? I'm sure that the Avatar is a great cab, but I would imagine the difference in price, thus the difference in engineering and components, puts these on seperate levels of quality.

It's like comparing a $200 Squier against an $800 MIJ, IMO.

Basically, if you have the money, go for the Schroeder. If you're on a budget, go for the Avatar. If I were you, I'd wait for a used Schroeder to pop up on the classifieds forum.

14. Quadzilla

Pretty funny that "you are a douche" is winning at this point :smug:

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    While there may be better options than the Schroeder based on what tone you want, I'd have to say that the Schroeder is pretty much better overall than the Avatar. It is not muddy at all, if you are worried about that. If you have the extra $, go for the Schroeder.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Avatars are good cabs for the money. They can certainly put out volume and punch. But you will see where the extra $$$ went if you ever get a chance to A/B an upscale cab vs the Avatar.

Compared to my SWR GIII, my Avatar seems less alive. It's hard for me to describe, it's that openness and definition of the sound that's a little lacking. It's still good though.

Oh... and you're a douche.

17. Quadzilla

Muahahahahahahaha!!! :p :D :smug:

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Schroeder Muddy?!?!

I've never heard that claim.

Not only does it burn the Avatar, it's smaller.

19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks for the replies

im kinda stuck between the following cabs.... a used el whappo i have a line on, the schroe 410, avatar 410 and a ul410

eeeks!

20. Schroeder = insanely loud, compact and moderately expensive with a mid-bump
    Epifani = insanely loud, light weight and quite expensive with airy top end and extended low
    Accugroove = insanely loud, large, heavy, insanely expensive & 6 ohms with almost uncontrollable lows
    The Avatar is obviously the odd amp out in this group: the only "average Joe" cab in the bunch. The factors that are most persuasive for you are probably different from those that are most persuasive for me. Let us know what you choose.