schroeder as an extension or stand alone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    came up in conversation today and i was not sure exactly what i woudl do in this situation.

You currently have a 115 cab, 8ohm, and you think it's decent.

You want a schroeder medium box (1210, 1212, 1010).

do you get the schroe in 4 ohm to squeeze your amp to the maximum (400 wattz into 4ohm... not 2 ohm capable) , or do you get the schro in 8 ohm so you can run it with your existing 115 cab as well?

the question came up cause it has been said that the schroes, while awesome in so many ways, dont actually have as deep bass extension as some other cabs. (conjecture? i dont know) add a 115 to it and you have deeper low end plus that great schro-ness.

or do you jsut go all schro (4ohm) and be done with it?

what would YOU do?
  2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Without hesitation, I would sell the 1x15, buy a Schroeder 1212, hook it up to an amp that puts out a good bit of power, stand back and watch things fall of the walls while playing (pictures, lamps, paint, etc.)
    The 1212 is CRAZY loud and sounds great! It has some serious low end too. It'll take on a low B (or lower) with no problem whatsoever. It will take up to 1000w without batting an eye and has a nice full low end punch that is probably better than the 15 that you already like.

One cab, one amp, easy day.
    That's what I'd do, but that's just me!
  3. I have a 1210 and 1212 and like them a lot. I do agree that the of these medium size boxes is punchy and full, but does not extend to the deep bass. That being said, the 1212 has a more extended low end (IMO) than the 1210. Also, these cabs are very, very efficient... I would think that if you paired one with a typical 115, you would be hearing mostly Schroeder anyway.

So.... I would just go with the 4ohm Schroeder. If you really are one that likes a big low end, pillowy 15" sound... the Schroeder might not be the best choice. Depends what you want in your tone!
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

This is dead on. I had another 112 that I tried to use with my 1212, thinking that since the 112 was rated at 500w I could do so...and it didn't really work. The 1212 can get lots louder cleaner than the rig could with the 112. The clean threashold was a LOT higher with the 1212 alone. I now use it alone. I have the 8ohm 1212, and would one day consider either a 21012 or another 1212 to go with it.
  5. Sell the 115 and get both a Schroeder 1210 AND a 1212. You will never want for cabinetry again.

BTW, I have a 1210 and it has NEVER been "not enough".
  6. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 - I have the same setup and totally agree