1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schroeder=bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattsk42, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I tried a search but came up empty. Correct me if I missed it.

Does anyone truly dislike Schroeder cabinets? Why, and what else have you used?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't understand how you came up empty on the search.. there are almost 300 threads with something about these cabs...

:confused:

3. Haha literally LOL. I meant any threads that talk about the cab's NEGATIVES. I've only seen positive reviews, and I'm wondering if anyone at all has had a negative experience with one. Or really really not liked the tone enough to ditch it, etc. :smug:

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    PM me. ;)

5. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    chicken! ;)

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I sold my 1210 because it was much too hi-fi sounding. Thin and nasal, louder than hell, and lacking "oomph" is how I would describe mine. I've avoided the brand based on my experience.

I prefer both my SVT410HLF and my Bag End S15 to the Schroeder.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Guilty, as charged. :D

I'll just say that they are not for me, and if anyone wants the details of why, feel free to PM me. I've corresponded with Jorg a good bit, and I like him a lot. Plus I know many people who love these cabs. But even after trying them in a number of situations (including a band setting, guys!), I have found that they just are not my cup of tea.

Tom.

8. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Heresy!

:p

9. +1....Worse than Sadowsky bashing IMO......Probably will get lynched anyway but I didn't care for the 1210 I tried either..So shoot me already, I didn't say they sucked....:rolleyes:

Peace,

T

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Calm down man. It's ok to have an opinion.

11. Yeah, and could you say why?

For the other guy, thank you for the "high-fi" reference. I KIND OF got that impression reading through a couple threads, but that really sums it up better.

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Why would anyone get lynched for disliking a particular piece of equipment? Now if someone makes some wide sweeping generalization like "bow-teek bases all sux" well then okay, but that's more attacking someone's complete idiocy rather than their opinion.

That being said, I love my 1212, and I can perfectly understand why someone else wouldn't. It definitely has an unflappable personality.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have only heard the cabs, never actually played one. I just avoid them because of all the non-stop hype here at TalkSchroederBassCabs.com. :D

-Mike

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Again, please PM me, if you want my detailed take.

"Hi-fi" is an apparently subjective term. It seems to mean one thing in some circles, and something else to others. But under any usage of the phrase as I understand it, it is certainly not an adjective that I would use in this context - but then again, it may just be me. :smug:

Tom.

15. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Although I have not yet heard a Schroeder cabinet, my sense is that they have a deliberately mid-focused sound that is designed to cut, so that you can easily hear yourself in a dense mix. This would mean that they are "pre-slotted" frequency wise to boost those frequencies which allow bass to be heard. IMO, this would not be high fidelity, as I see high fidelity as uncolored, flat frequency response.

I used to have an Eden D210XLT which had a prominent low-mid voice which cut through, but I did not like it much and replaced it with a more even sounding D210XST, which has a much more neutral character.

I would guess that players who are in particularly loud bands where they find themselves overwhelmed by the other instruments would enjoy the Schroeder sound, while those players who are not in overly loud bands and are looking for a more natural sound would not like them as much.

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I didnt like my 1210 with my ABM but its great with my SA450. i found the mids to be wooly on the ABM, its was all punch but no real tone. but now i have my SA450 its a much clearer, open sound and for the size its all i could ever want.
    Just wish i had waited for the light version

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Schroeder's are very uniquely voiced, much more with the smaller cabs (1212 and 1210, and especially the 1010) vs. the larger cabs (21012 and 410). The smaller cabs (called 'medium') by Jorg, are very strongly voiced to the lower mids. This results in the cabs being unusually loud for their size and also allows them to really punch through a busy mix.

However.... it also results in them sounding compressed and a little 'nasal' to some, which I can totally understand. They really are unique, and I've never really experienced anything like them (i.e., the mediums are 'smaller than 210' sized cabs that can do a VERY loud gig). However, unique is not necessarily good for everyone (see my Acme thread comments:D ... another series of cabs that are very differently voiced from the Schroeders, but also very unique and 'love it or hate it' sounding).

The larger cabs (I have a 21012L) are more 'conventional' sounding while still being very efficient and loud for their size and voiced more similarly to other cabs IMO.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Tom;
    Dat's ok! If the same sound were "it" for everyone, what a bland place the world would be. For me, they're a damn fine tool, and I don't want to go to work without one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.