Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schroeder bass response

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrackBass, Sep 29, 2004.

1. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    well look what came in the mail today, my brand new schroeder 21012 cab. (thanks jorg, it was packed securely and arrived in perfect shape)
    the first thing i did was plug in my old cab, a peavey 412 tvx. then i hooked up the schroeder. wow the midrange clarity that i was looking for is all there. the cab looked tiny next to the 412 but it was actually just a touch louder. the only thing was i had to adjust my ears for a minute because i was used to hearing the exaggerated bass/highs of my old cab. it was kind of weird for a minute because those extra mids make the bass response less apparent. then i started playing in several positions and all the strings and noticed that every note was virtually the same volume as opposed to an exaggerated top and bottom. as i got used to the sound it really grew on me. i know that the schroeder is not a "flat" cab( it seems to have a lower midrange emphasis) but it is flatter than anything i've heard or played through. i've had a lot of experience with ampeg, swr, peavey,boogie, and eden. you know, most of the brands available in most semi big cities(huntsville,al), but i've never had the chance to hear most of the "boutique" brands.(EA, accugroove,epifani,bergs,...etc.)
    i've been looking for a more midrangy sound without sacrificing all the low end, and i've found it. i can't wait to get this puppy up on stage so i can really see what it can do. i'm also going to have to work on my technique because the clarity is amazing. absolutely no mud, tight bottom,smooth mids and high end that sounds like its coming from a small speaker instead of a tweeter.

2. I'm glad it finally arrived, Tom. :)

Thanks for the "mini" review, you've made my day.

Please keep me posted.

Sincerely,

Jorg
    www.schroedercabinets.com

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    congrats! I had thought long and hard about the 1210 vs the 21012 (actually wanted both at first). I think the 1210 fit me better as I don't do very loud or sonically thick music. I am waiting for a 1212 to add to the 1210 @ bigger gigs.

...who am I kidding :smug: I'm gonna run both all the time :bassist:

4. [QUOTE...who am I kidding :smug: I'm gonna run both all the time :bassist:[/QUOTE]

sicko :D :bag:

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I blame you and that Barrett character :spit:

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Bad news, that Mr. Barrett is. :ninja: Stay away, FAR away... Unless, of course, you really want to spend alot of money on some truly outstanding gear.

:smug:

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congratulations on the excellent score!

I predict many months (or years) of amazed joy at the sound of your cab playing live with a band.

Keep us updated after some gigging.

8. CrackBass,
    I know you like the sound alot now but wait till your on stage with the 21012. It will sound even better. I've played ten gigs with mine the last two months and every time someone came up to me and said how great my bass sounded. One thing I learned while on a small stage. With the cabinet right behind me a foot or so it was hard for me to hear it but everyone else could hear it just fine. During our first break I moved it a couple feet to the left with the 12 aimed in my direction. Almost blew me off the stage!!! Bigger stages the cabinet behind me works great. I played my first outdoor gig with it this last weekend and actually had to play at a lower volume than I do indoors. Can't ask for better customer service than you get from Jorg or Brian. :)

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    The other Shroeder thread may have set the record for the number of replies since I have been on TB, however, the tedium of debating specs got to me. Thank you for giving us an update on real life gigging impressions of the cab...I look forward to more feedback as these cabs gain popularity. I too am looking for light weight without sacrificing sound, so this new (or renewed) design intrigues me...as it obvously does everyone else. Keep it up Jorg...there is definitely room for new ideas and player feedback on the SOUND of your cabs.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, there was alot of tech mumbo going on here and there in the BIG Schroeder thread, but if you can skim on past that, there is alot of good, real-world user feedback there.

11. Thanks for the compliments, which I appreciate very much.
    If you are not too far from Arlington you might want to attend Oct. 16th/17th event, Schroeders will be there;
    So will Pete Skjold, Brian Barrett and I.

Sincerely,

Jorg

12. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    What event in Arlington? It would be worth the trip to hear the already legendary cabs you design :)

13. The guitar show at the Arlington Convention Center, October 16th & 17th :)

14. jpplayer question:
    To what side do you stand next to your drummer boy. I'm on the left usually and I may have to angle my 21012 (not yet received) also. I have spoken to Jorg about this but was just curious about your set up. Are you the guy on the Schroeder Player Site with the SWR amp?
    I don't think I'll have to flip my 21012 over or flip up but it's good to know you can if you need to. Jorg said the cabs sound good no matter how you angle, flip, turn upside down. Thats Cooooool.

oh yea, congrats to Crackbass.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If I hadn't plan a long time ago to make that weekend into a mini-vacation, I'd be very tempted to drive down! I'd love to hear Jorg's cabs, and I am strongly considering one of Pete's basses (I think I am going to be able to stop by his shop in Texas, though, sometime fairly soon). It'd be a pleasure to meet Jorg, Pete, and Brian, too! Some other time, perhaps.

Have a good get together!

Tom.

16. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    thanks guys, i'll give an update as soon as i can get this puppy in the mix. too bad my band is taking a short break to work up some new tunes and relax a little. we played about 7 gigs last month. oh well. the more i play through this thing the more i like it. i hooked my old cab back up after jamming for an hour or so and it sounds like a bassy am radio broadcast in comparison. did i mention that i can pick it up by myself without straining. 74 pounds isn't exactly light(compared to 127 pounds it is) but the handles are top notch and placed ergonomically so it's not that hard to lift. plus i sprung for the optional castors (he uses the nice removable kind) so it rolls around like a dream.

i would like to thank the tb forum for all the feed back on these cabs. it's kind of scarry buying a cab sight unseen but this really turned out great. i would like to return the favor. i may have the only schroeder in alabama. it's a long way to california so anyone close to me who wants a listen i'd be glad to arrange something. just pm me.

and jorg, the next time i'm in california(i visit san diego about twice a year) i'm gonna have to give you a call and visit your shop if that's cool. maby i'll go home with another one he he he....

17. Crackbass, are your casters the pop out or slide off type?

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

some body call my name ............................ :bag:

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

Well we will all be in Tx Oct 16-17 at the Arlington, Tx Guitar show.

[edit] sorry, just saw it was discussed

20. Tom, you're welcome to stop by anytime (except between 1:00am - 6:00 am) :D