Schroeder, Basson, or Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CanadianBass48, Aug 3, 2005.

1. CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I am looking to get a rig. I have already purchaced an Ampeg SVT 5-Pro and I want to get a medium cab, like a 4 10". Anyway I have been struggling a lot about what cab to get. A Schroeder medium, a basson 4 10", or a ashdown. I can't play them all befor I by. I leave the States in 2 weeks and I want to get the amp bought and shipped befor I leave. Any imput that you guys would have who have played on these cabs befor would be helpful.

2. CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I play anything from classic rock to hard rock. I like my deep lows but don't like them to be muddy or make the specker sound like it is farting.
  3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've never heard of Basson, but have heard so-so things about Ashdown. I don't think either are in the same league as the Schro, but I know at least it's not a truly fair comparison between the Schro and Ashdown as they're quite different.

Get a Schro 410 if ya can. Someone will always be willing to take it off your hands asap if you just hate it (which you won't!)
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Schroeder. My 410 is DEEP and never, ever muddy. Clean, punchy, slightly dark and cuts through the mix easily.

If you check the link in my sig, that's the sort of stuff my band's playing, fits perfectly. My band (Yep, even the guitarists and SINGER) love the thing.
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a shroeder 1210 and love it. You cant beat the excellent customer service either.
  6. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
  7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    SVT 5 bridged into a Schroeder 1212, or 410, or 1210 ,or 21012. :D
  8. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I own the B410B cabinet from Basson Sound. I have played it alongside the Schroeder "Large box". ONe is not better than the other. They are two different animals. Now, I play in a metal band, and I must compete with two heavily modified 5150's each with a full stack. The Basson is just and evil monster. It sounds like nothing else I've ever heard, and I can't replicate the sound with any other cabinet. Most importantly, It's SIGNIFICANTLY louder than any other 410 on the market, and accordingly heavier. Basson's claim to fame is thier speakers. Whichever maufacturer we're talking about, be it Peavey, Fender, GK, Ampeg, etc.....there is a 95% chance they have the same model Eminence Brand speakers in them as every other maker. In other words, the only difference between these 100 different 410's with the same speakers in them is the name on the front and in some cases the port configuration. These Eminence speakers ALL have either a 32 or 56 ounce voice coil. The Basson speakers have 200 OUNCE MAGNETS on them. Roughly four times the size of the biggest competitor. I've had TBer's argue all day long about Basson cabinets, but there is nothing as loud, and really nothing I've tried, including the Schroeders, cut through the guitars as well. Now bear in mind, If I weren't in a metal band, I'd dump the Basson for a Schroeder 310212 immediatly. Jorg's cabs are just plain awesome.
  9. CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Ya, I got one. A Basson B210B. Not the one I wanted but my ampeg wasn't strong enough for the B410B. I could have bought a power amp but I will see how this one works and if I need a bigger one then this rig is going up for sale. I really would have liked to try out a shroeder though. Maybe later on in life I can treat myself to such luxuries. Thanks for your reponses guys.
  10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Basson- large, heavy...LOUD! I'm thinking of selling my Basson 1x15, but that may be foolish... I may need that volume at some point.