Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder cabs kill!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ever since I took up playing double bass, I've had serious problems hearing myself on stage in my blues/jazz band. The band consists of drums, piano, guitar, bass, some horns...While we're not real loud consistantly, we can be at times (aren't dynamics fun!). Double bass has been problematic-Ican swap to slab and hear myself fine, but swap back to upright, and it kind of disappears in my ears, despite turning up, eq'ing, etc.
    I was playing mostly thru an swr super redhead, then bought a mesa 400+ and goliath III 410, thinking more headroom, volume and speakers were the answer. Not very helpful as it turned out. An swr henry 8x8 that I lucked into helped some. I still was not happy though.
    After reading the schroeder megathread, and talking to Jorg repeatedly about my needs thru email and on the phone, I ordered a Schroeder 410.
    I cannot say how much better this cab is than anything else I've tried. I could hear myself just fine, my bandmates, soundman, and several bass player friends I had in the audience were all similarly impressed. A couple of my bass player buds sat in last set, and were all raves about Jorg's cabinet.
    Jorg-is the man! Everything you've read is true, and he's a pleasure to do business with. You can count me among the ranks of the very pleased Schroeder users:)

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congratulations!

You got a great cab!

I wondered how these would do for DB (even though I don't currently have one -- used to -- might again someday).

What are you driving it with?

The MB 400+ should be nice with it if you still have it.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    LoFreq, I used the mesa 400+ last night. I have a bbe bmax paired with a qsc/plx 1602, so far I have not played with the bmax and upright-I suspect they're not a match made in heaven, and am working on getting a eden navigtor pre...I have a bud that uses a wt900/swr henry 8x8 with his db, and that works very well for him...

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good going. glad you like it. i have yet to see/hear one.

after the last thread you were in on this topic i was worried you were gonna stick with that 8x8. I can't imagine lugging that AND a doghouse to a gig, never mind fitting them both in the same car - :rolleyes:

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The more I read about Jorg's cabs, the more interested I am in them. Any more word on that bigger one that I heard rumors of awhile back??

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Just out of curiosity, what are you using to amplify your DB? i.e. piezos, mike, magnetics?

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    IvanMike-the 8x8 is only 3" taller than the swr goliathIII, so it's really not that bad. I can fit my db, slab, mesa400+, and cab all in the back of the 1983 Land Cruiser station wagon, no prob, but the schroeder is smaller than either...
    Jerry J, I'm using an older Fishman BP100 twin piezo pup on the db...it's ok. I had a K&K double bassmax on my last db, and preffered it, but have not made the switch back...it was a little "fuller."

8. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Chef,

Not to hijack the thread, but how would you compare the Schroeder 410 to the 8x8 for electric bass? How do their volumes compare?

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I haven't a/b'd them as extensively as I need to...so these comments are "premautre and undeveloped"...and it's not really a fair comparison. The Schroeder is rated for 1400 watts, and is known to be very efficient. The Henry is rated for 475...My initial thoughts are that with the mesa at the same settings, the 8x8 sounds a little fatter, where as the Schroeder is louder and less colored...I think the Schroeder will definately take more power and provide more bass response when suupplied a fatter signal from the power amp, whereas the lower power rated Henry 8x8 would start "having issues" at the volumes the Schroeder can handle...
    Make sense at all?

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When I talked to Jorg last week, he said the new single 12 cabs he has coming out are aimed for the upright player.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Which one? the 21012 or the 310212? :smug:
    Now that must be big... and being rated at 2050 Watts... :eek:
    :D

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think it was the 310212 that I had heard about. Something like that would really get my attention. :cool: :)

13. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Yeah the 3101212 is rated at 2100. I'm working on picking one up right now :)

Troll