Schroeder cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gregory Becmer, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gregory Becmer

Gregory Becmer Inactive

Feb 26, 2018
    Anyone use or own any of these cabs. Am interested in the 212PL . Thanks...

BassYerFaceoff likes this.
  2. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have a 12/12 and a 310212, love 'em. Sound great, built like tanks

3. B-line

B-line Inactive

I like my PL212 (in high-maintenance white "Rhino Tuff":cool:) quite a bit.

schro.jpg

I've read on TB (more than once!) that some feel Schroeder cabs have too much mid-range; not my experience or opinion by any means.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  4. Love mine. Loud, light, punchy... Plenty enough for the bar gigs we do. No PA support needed. And no, I do not feel there's too much midrange.

5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Living at the end of the trail on a small island in Alaska, I can't really flip gear like some guys living say in Cali or NYC. Getting stuff here is expensive. I've had my eye on the Schroeder Mini 12+L's for a couple years, but I need to sell some gear somehow here in my little berg in Sitka. I've read a lot of posts on Schroeders, and most complaints start with, "I''ve heard..." instead of "I own...." and for some reason I think there's a group for no particular reason that don't like Schroeders. The TB'ers who actually own them have always raved about them and say in no way are they too mid heavy and instead say they could actually be pretty full-bottomed. So, probably best to try one for yourself. Those who own them seem to love them. Anyway, when I get my cabs and a couple basses sold off, I'm going to try out the Schroeders. I must admit, owning Eden EX110's makes it hard for me to try to sell them, the do an incredible job in any venue I play in town.

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I own a 1515L. I find it to be quite even in response, especially compared to my Eden stack (which I also love). My Eden 410 weighs in at about 115# now. The Schroeder 2 x 15 is around 40#. Super easy to carry and moves a lot of air. Way more air than 40# ever should be allowed to.

7. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I used to own a 1210R and a Mini12R (IIRC) over a decade ago. They were great for what they did, that is cut through and be loud while being compact and relatively light, but they were mid-heavy and lacked real bottom. But I understand that Jorg has changed his cabs a few times since then, so maybe these comments are about the older models.

8. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Should receive my 1515L today, If I can catch the fedex guy.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I play a Schroeder 15PL cab, and will probably get another one in the near future. The idea of having a lightweight, very schleppable 215 rig is really appealing. I love the punch of the 15Pl, more than any other stand alone 15/tweet cab I have ever owned, with the possible exception of the Greenboy Bassic 15. The Schroeder 15PL is definitely an easier cab to load in/out, which is huge factor at this point in my life. Don't really need big volume at this point either as most of my gigs are either FOH backup, or small Blues clubs. I had a 5 string player sit in one night, and the little 15PL took all it had. Nice cab !

10. Max

Max

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have the same 15PL cab as jnewmark and I have a 12PL on top of it. I get where people are coming from when they say they are midrangey. To me it's just more of a well-rounded sound. The 12" and 15" speaker are athletic and punchy. You lose a little thickness at the bottom but they do everything else.

11. I have a 12PL, a 15PL and an 18PL, as well as a Mini 8+L and a Mini 10+L. The 18PL has as much "thickness at the bottom" as you would need. I used to have a SWR Big Ben back in the day, and the Schroeder gives away nothing in the bottom end.

12. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Vieques
    Reviving an old thread as I am curious how loud the Greenboy Bassic 15 is in comparison to the 15PL?

I have a small tube amp and want a single cab that is really efficient and can cop a vintage tone.

13. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I don't remember a huge difference, volume wise, but I don't really play that loud these days. The Schroeder has a tweeter for some high end sizzle, and the Bassic 15 does not, although I'm sure you could get one added. Both great cabs that can do a gig if you need to watch the volume.

14. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Should be comparable. I didn't love the tweeter in the PL. To be fair I don't love many tweeters. I have found myself wondering how high Jorg's 15 goes. I really like a potent single 15. The bassic 15 is a great cab but on the big side.

Shroeders kind of got a bad rap mainly due to the mid heavy early designs. Boy did they cut through a mix. I really like their cabs.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021