Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder for Metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Aug 15, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Was interested on hearing user's comments on the application of a Schroeder 410 or 310212 for a metal act.

I'm using a Basson B410B now, the loudest thing I've ever heard, but I'm having problems with it, and since we're playing almost constantly now, I can't afford problems.

I'm a strictly fingerstyle player and I have two heavily modified Peavey 5150 full stacks on either side of me to contend with, so being loud is important, but not having my sound degrade into low intelligibility is most important. Being very loud and VERY CLEAR is what I need.

Is the Schroeder my next Box?
    Is the 410 really very much louder than say a GK 410RBH?
    How loud is the 310212???

Listen to me here

Thanks!

2. joeyhimself

joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    From what I've heard, this decribes Schroeder cabs perfectly. Check out the Megathread.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The MM5/bmax/crest combination will sound killer with a Schroeder cab. I have a 410, and I looove it. Call Jorg and talk to him about what you want. He can steer you towards whether the 410, 21012 or 310212 is gonna be best for you.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I play in ahard rock band with my schroeder 1210 and I "only" run it with a hartke 3500(with bmax). I'm running against a triple x halfstack and a crate halfstack. I have my gain and master on the Bmax at 12o'clock and my hartke is between 2 and 3 generally.

Great crisp, punchy tone all the way.

Basically, a 410 or 3101212 should be able to compete with anything and sound incredible...I personally don't see any reason to buy bigger than the 1210 or 1212 unless you want to give Jorg more money or are just deaf.

I love my cab :hyper:

5. I agree.

I'm in a classic rock band as well as a very busy (musically) metal band and the days of very loud stage sound w/stacks are long gone unless of course you're playing a large arena ie: outdoors. PA support should be utilized properly. My 1212 is also plenty loud. I stand the speaker on end w/the angled speaker up. If it gets to where I can't hear it, the band is simply too loud. IME everything actually sounds so much better and tighter in a controlled moderate volume stage sound regardless of the style of music.

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I listened to one of your songs Beaten Heart, and I couldn't really hear the bass at all. I dunno if my speakers suck, but all I hear is bass drums,guitar, and vocals.

I'd suggest getting a 310212, that might be a little expensive, but I think it'll suit ya well.

Oh ya I really dig your tunes, but the lack of bass makes me wanna cry.

7. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    The double-bass kick does a pretty good impersonation of a heavy machine gun. Reminds me of playing Wolfenstein online.
    I'm a Schroeder user too. Depending on your power amp setup, I bet a couple of 1212s would sound great for what you are doing and give you lots of volume. A 1212 and 1210 sound great together too.

8. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Doesn't that just suck..... I can hear myself well in the car stereo, but its still not loud enough. Thats what I get for leaving town during final mixdown. DAMN GUITARISTS!!!

I spoke with Jorg this morning. He's great. He thinks the regular 410 would work great for me. I'm just tired of not being able to hear myself at rehearsal and onstage. I mean I really couldn't hear myself at all during rehearsal before my basson cabinet. I hope the 410 does well for me. At least it will be 75 lbs lighter than the outgoing cabinet :meh:

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    So basically you guys are saying that 2- 12" speakers can keep up with 2 guitar half stacks? I'm not sold on that idea. I was looking into the Extra Large Box...the 310212...cuz that's what seems like it'll take over for my 8x10" Ampeg. It's a smaller cabinet and can handle some mean wattage. i just find it hard to believe that 2 -12" speakers (no matter how well designed) can move enough air to compete. Great thread by the way! This is going to answer a lot of my questions about Schroeders without wading through the 1400 posts in the other thread

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I really dig the music man. It'd sound a hell of a lot better if it were mixed with the bass being remotely audible. Your band has a bad case of dream theater style mixing! :p

Let me know if you ever come to the philly area.

Oh yea, little schro = BIG sound. Put enough watts into 'em and BAM...pissed guitarists.

11. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I use an AG500 with Berg HT/EX112 stack and keep the volume at about 10 o' clock in a speed metal band. Plenty loud. I can easily overpower both guitarsits, drummer, keyboards, and screaming vocals. The only thing is, my rig looks a little funny on stage next to these massive 8x10 Ampeg cabs (sounds sooo much better, though!).

12. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well, actually I said a single 12 and a single 10 ;)

Here's my actual rebuttle:

I play with earplugs...because I feel that I need them. We will usually roll through our set (an hour and a half) at least twice if we're getting ready for a show and once, followed by working on new ideas if we have time between shows. If I forget my plugs, I'm beat by the end of playing our set(our lead guitarist is a walking jukebox who is constantly playing...that really is annoying when you're trying to rest your ears).

I've never bothered to look to see how cranked up my guys have their amps, but I do know we're playing at more than adequate volumes. I don't think anyone wants to test out our equipment and run them at 10 for a set, but if that were the case, I feel comfortable that my little rig would cause as much bleeding as anyone else's. Hell, my rhythm guitarist was commenting last practice on how much punch he could feel in his chest from my cab.

And probably the most important factor to me. I'm all of 21, and not a small guy, and could lug around an 8x10 or two if I really wanted to, but I can carry all my gear into a club in two trips. I carry my cab and rack each in one hand going in. It's light, it's easy to setup.....the crowd(and other bassists) have no idea what's hitting them all night :cool:

13. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, I'm very skeptical about the whole 2 12" thing. I tried an Aguilar 212 and found it very weak. Literally half the volume and punch of the basson.

Ordeing my Schroeder tomorrow and crossing my fingers the 410 will be enough....... :meh:

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for your input on the 1210 schroeder Snobassman. I really want to check these out now. i wish I could find them around here (Cleveland), but I know he's mail order only. The 21012 seems like it might be the way to go for me.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Schroeders are sold through a few dealers.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  17. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well, if you, or anyone else for that matter, happens by the Charleston area of West Virginia I'd glady allow ya's to give her a test run. :D

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I compared my Schroeder 410 to a backline Ampeg 810 at a gig. My Schroeder ate it up, easily. Louder, clearer, more cutting abililty (which IS different to just turning up volume) AND it's WAAAYY smaller.

I'm not in a metal band, but hard rock more like it (check out Season and Stranger in the link in my Sig) and I've never had my Trace V8 past gain 5 and master 3 at the biggest gigs (outdoors and BIG sheds etc) using my Schroeder.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Did you talk to Jorg before ordering?

20. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Yes, we talked for a bitsy...real cool guy. I'm always skeptical when somebody says one type of 410 is signifigantly louder than other 410's loaded with similar speakers.

The Basson cabinet really blew me away, the first time I had heard a 410 that was leaps and bounds ahead of my 410's I've had so many 410s and none of them sounder waaaaay better than another. I've had the Ampeg 410 HLF (mud city) and both models of the Gallien Kreuger 410. All we each successivly better than the last, but not tremendously so. The Basson beat the piss out of the others by leaps and bounds. I wish I could get another one in time for my shows, but teh general consensus here is that the Schroeder will be even that much better over again than the Basson, and be half the weight. I just completed my order with Mark at Bass Club in Chicago, and It'll be in my possession shortly. I'm Hoping by Friday I will be another Talkbass Schroeder Lover. (as if he needed any more than he already has ;) )