1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schroeder horn protection?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slugworth, Dec 3, 2006.

1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I accidently blew the horn diaphragm in my 410L. I figured I'd just unscrew the back panel and pop in a new fuse, right?
    Wrong....no horn protection on this cabinet, you have to pull off the grill, remove the horn, take it apart and replace the diaphragm...$14 from Loudspeakers Plus. I can't imagine why Jorg would not have fused the horn for protection like Eden and most others do. Maybe I can put a fuse holder in line? Don't know what amp fuse I'd use...Am I missing something?

Thx
    Slug

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Fuses are almost never used in speakers, they react far too slowly to provide protection. Protective light bulbs are used, they can be added to an existing tweeter circuit. Parts Express sells them.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    what Bill said, but even adding a bulb degrades the signal. Think of it like adding a tube in line, however this tube isn't really there for tone ;)

Did you contact Jorg about the tweeter issue, he might have been some help?

Pederbas likes this.
  4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Fuse, bulb, whatever..The concept is the same; a weaker link in the chain to protect the components from catastrophic damage. Eden uses them, the horns sound fine. It's a PITA to replace a horn diaphragm. It should have protection. I'll check out Parts Express.

Thx
    Slug

Pederbas likes this.
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The difference is that a bulb is not a sacrificial element. The way a filament lamp works, when it is cold, the filament has very low resistance, making it sufficiently like a "wire" to have a minimal or perhaps tolerable effect on performance. When more current flows through it, then it heats up, and the resistance goes way up. That way, it acts like a current limiting element, albeit one that survives the experience.

The Eminence crossover I just got, has a bulb. And I am pretty sure you can buy a replacement for this particular bulb. I have tried to calculate ratings for a standard commercial bulb to do this job, and have simply never figured it out.

Note that ideally, the bulb should be held in such a way that it is not in contact with anything flammable.

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Right, the bulb acts as a resisitor, and when it's limit is exceeded, the filament burns through, opens the circuit, and saves your horn diaphragm. Over at "Parts Express" they call them BULB FUSES.

Slug

7. Epifani also does use have any tweeter protection. Some manufacturers (Nick for sure, and I guess Jorg) feel that any sort of extra circuit in there messes with the sound. Quite frankly, I'd just as well they put a bulb in there... as posted above, minimal impact and you get some protection.

That being said, I've been playing Epifani cabs for many, many years (I think I was one of Nick's first 'retail' customers, and I've been using Jorg's cabs for about a year). In all that time (over 10 years), I've only blown one diaphragm in an older Epi cab... and it was my own damn fault.... cost me $10.

IMO... not an issue.