1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schroeder internal volume??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

How do schroeder cabinets get past have SO SOOOO little internal volume, but people still love the sound? I don't understand? I'm currently working on a 4x12 project and have about 10.2 ft^3 of internal volume while his 4x12 only has around 5.962. I don't get how they get those to sound good? Any ideas?

2. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    You might e-mail Jorg and ask him yourself -- he's pretty responsive. His e-mail adddress is on the Schroeder site "sales" page.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Model your favorite driver in the box program of your choice and see for yourself what happens when box size is reduced while all else remains the same. Midbass sensitivity rises, making the box sound subjectively louder. The trade off is that low frequency extension is sacrificed.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Definitely.

My Schroeder 410R isn't what I would call a super-deep sounding cab. Every Schroeder cabinet I've tried is voiced more towards the lower midrange than actual lows and sub-lows. That said, it's a wonderful voicing for playing live as it tends to sit right above the kick and right below the guitars.

5. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I did some rudimentary response testing of my 1212R along with a SWR 15" and a DIY cab and posted the results here on TB if you're interested.

Here's a look at the data I came up with:

cabtesting9-1.

Do keep in mind that I did all this stuff in my backyard with basic equipment, not to any AES standards, and I'm not an audio engineer.

6. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I figured the lows would be lessened a great deal, but I guess the trade off with less lows and more midrange COULD be a good thing. I know there are a lot of people on here that love schroeder gear! So who knows..

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Magic!!!!

8. You are confusing 'correct on paper' with 'sounding good'.

IMO, bass cabinets are not necessarily like full range PA or 'stereo' cabs. Sometimes a design that results in less low end response than you would think you need, and a more mid present voicing than you 'think' would sound good, actually slots a bass guitar just where it needs to be in a mix in live performance.

Do I want to listen to CD's through it... probably not:smug:

9. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Don't take the lack of sub-lows to mean these cabinets don't sound full, fat and warm. Mine certainly does and I'm pleased every time I play through it.