1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schroeder Line X project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Mar 5, 2008.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    objective : make my schroeder 410R indestructable

after considering making the cab into something like a mesa road ready cab i decided against it mostly because of extra weight/bulk concerns.

there is a local line X dealer near me, so i gave him the specs and he quoted me around 150$ canadian plus tax to spray the cabinet.

it seems almost a little pricey, but i know it will last forever. it definetly wont wear out.

so tonight i totally disassembled my 410R. ****, this took WAYYY longer than i ever expected.

i removed all the hardware, and put it all in designated baggies so nothing gets lost.

P I T A #1 removing hidden screws on angled drivers inside the cab. i had to contort myself to get at these.

P I T A #2 removing carpet. WOW WHAT A HEADACHE!

i tried just pulling it off.. holy smokes, i start laughing to hard. it didn't move. i'm a pretty strong dude too, and it just hurt my hand ahah. then i remembered something i read on the boards a lil while ago..

ADD WATER.

i guess the glue is water based, so i just diluted the hell outta it. i took it down stairs, and SOAKED IT. was VERY liberal with the water, and then it soak for like 3-5 minutes.

i went at it with an exacto knife, made some cuts to make removal easier.

THE CARPET PEELED OFF WITHOUT EFFORT !
    i was amazed at how easily it came off. this is KEY for anyone who decides to do this in the future..

i then scraped some of the glue off, and tried picking at some of the leftover lil carpet pieces.. by this time i was at it for almost 3 hours and called it a night.

cleaned up and im leaving the cab to dry out ( its not eally wet, but u know)

UPDATE MARCH 11 08

- ordered the hardware ( black recessed latch/ catch, square black corners)
    - belt sanded the complete box ( 18$ rent from home depot)

i gotta get some wood from Lowe's too for the latch on grill cover(which will also be line X'd) i'm thinking just some really thin plywood, maybe like 1/4 inch ( line X adds 1/8 or so of an inch)

-i'm going to respray the baffle with flat black BBQ paint before it goes to line X. Personally, its kinda pointless to do the baffle, it wont even see any wear.

-the latch catches will be recessed into the cab aswell, this way there is no hardware hanging off the side of the cab. to make for easy loading.

i'm pretty excited to get this project moving, seeing as i dont have another amp. lol so i can't really practice with an amp right now. which kinda sucks.

STAY TUNED FOLKS

:bassist:

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    It's my understanding that you must be very thorough in removing all of the glue residue from the enclosure. You also should decide whether to spray the front baffle or not.

I ordered my Bag End Q10B with factory Line-X and was surprised to see that they did in fact spray the baffle. The speaker itself turned out great.

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea, they said they coat it with something the night before they spray which draws water out of the wood and seals it or soemthing..

i'll most likely have them spray the baffle, it will be difficult though because of the schroeder design. ah ****, i'll prolly just spray paint it BBQ black myself. this way there are no problems.

then i just gotta tape everything off, so they dont spray inside the cab( i left the dampening materiel in there)

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    pics on the way.

i finally got my camera back.

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    ahaha

i guess no pics,

but, i have recieved and test fit all hardware.

prepped cab for materiel

now the cab is being sprayed

i'll have it back on monday, then i gotta start rebuilding it.

hardware bought from reliable hardware. GREAt SERVICE from these guys.

updates and pics for real when its done.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm in Hamilton too. Where did you find the Line X dealer?

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the finished product.

I just recently had our kitchen counters coated with a similar product by a local company. Man, that stuff is hard as iron when fully cured. It went on right over the existing Formica type surface after they'd sanded it and sprayed it with a primer.

Anyhow, keep us posted.

7. $150 for spraying sounds like an really high price. Hope it is worth it!

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    well, its line x, not rhino tufff or whatever. we are talking real deal, for truck beds.

also, there is a big panel that is covering the grill that is being sprayed aswell.

and, it IS in canadian funds

gonna be awesome@

9. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    got final assembly about 85% done today.

finishing work on the grill tomorrow. then i'll post pics and a final thought. maybe even a lil treat.

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    finally its 99% done.

got the finals put together. and its GREAT!
    sounds awesome, looks way better! way more durable!

the only thing, is i gotta add 2 more latches to the top and bottom of her to really secure the lid on. its not as tight as i would have hoped. unless there is a way to fix the current set up. ideas?

i had to cut the grill and rubber stoppers down 1/2 inch to allow for the cover to sit flush. no problem. got the zip disc out, done in 5.

overall, it was a great project. the line x was 150$ cash. so all together it cost less than 200$ canadian so i'm pretty happy.
    here's a slide show, because pics are annoying. it goes from my original set up to my current.

th_IM001786.

12. Looks good to me.

Off topic question, did you go from the CA-9 to the 1802? if so, how come?

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    nanana

click on that pic it takes you to the slideshow

oops

i went from the ca9 to the 1802 because of portability.

the ca9 is a great amp, but its FU##in HEAVVVVY. i can't stress it anymore. i'm a fit person too. i hated lifting that thing. it sounded great though.

but,

i feel i get the same sound out of my 1802 no problem. plus its got a nice warranty too.

and having things split into 2 rack bags makes everything easy to move around.

14. Looks great!! I've always loved the look of Schroeders.

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    the only thing is, i thought that the line x would conceal most imperfections in teh cabinet, like staple holes/ marks in the wood.

i was wrong.

if i knew that it wouldn't fill any of this i probably would have spent more time filling cracks etc, but its bombproof.

line x goes on, and is dry in 3 seconds.