Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schroeder mini 12+ arrived today! Comparison to wizzy...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My schroeder mini 12+ arrived today. I had a ea wizzy before and I can tell you from experience that the schroeder is a much better cab IMO.

Though the schroeder is one pound lighter (28lbs) its dimensions are slightly bigger. The mini is 4096 cubic inches while the wizzy is 3612.5. The mini 12 is a 16x16x16 cube while the wizzy is 12.5inch in width, 17 long and 17 high.

The low-end on the mini 12 is exceedingly deeper than the wizzy. I was never really satisfied with the low-end of the wizzy and I actually thought the problem may have been my Clarus, but now I know it was the wizzy.

To be fair, the wizzy is 200w while the mini 12 is 500w. The volume factor was one of the main reasons I opted for the schroeder.

I live in a condo so I havent had a chance to crank the volume on the mini 12 yet, but look forward to doing so in my next band practice in a couple of days.

If you are in my situation where you need a really light, but loud rig I would definitely check out the schroeder mini 12+.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Good review but...

this makes no sense:

If the Schroeder is more sensitive than the EA, then it will be louder for a given power amp. If the amp can drive the speaker to its thermal limits (highly unlikely with bass, the mechanical limit arrives first 99% of the time) then the Schroeder will go louder without melting due to the higher thermal power rating. But that's all the power rating is - the amount of power the voice coil can dissipate before starting to melt its insulation. So saying "to be fair, cab A is 200W while cab B is 500W" isn't saying anything. Now if it were amp A and amp B, that would be a totally different matter.

Saying that, hope the Schroeder works out for you - they're magic little cabs by all accounts!

Alex

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, I am no expert on the science of it all. All i know is that when i *barely* turn up the master vol on the clarus with the mini 12 I get lots of thunder. That wasnt the case with the wizzy.

Interestingly enough, if i recall correctly, the wizzy is 103db spl while the mini 12+ is 100db spl.

4. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    Schroeder cabs can go loud, without loosing definition.
    So you're powering it with the Clarus...and the Stewart power amp?

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    no, the stew is on its way. knowing how much power i have with the sch + clarus combo I am tempted to keep the clarus, but i dont think i can afford to keep both. I'll see how the PR 1000 sounds then decide if i should keep the clarus or sell.

the wizzy and the schroeder are both highly rated cabs, but i am surprised just how much better the mini 12 is.

6. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I am very interested in the Mini 12+. What basses, amp and music are you playing? Any comments appreciated!

Tom H.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bump :cool:

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I currently use an AI Clarus with a MIJ Fender Jazz in series, with graphite neck. I play mostly classic rock. I should wait to play with my band to give a more accurate description of the schroeder. Playing at low volumes in my liviing room solo is not going to tell me how it will sound in its proper context ie rockin' :hyper:

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, saying the Schroeder is lower and louder might mean it's a better cab to you, but not everyone.. So, what are the tonal differences of the amp?
    Have you run the Wizzy on top of the Schroeder, or isn't that possible because of ohms/amp?

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, that's why I said IMO (in my opinion). I grant that the wizzy may be better for upright or those who dont want that much low-end.

All I can do is *remember* how the wizzy sounds, because I sold it a couple days ago. I never got a chance to hear how they sound together. In order to pay for one I had to sell the other, due to financial reasons. For larger venues I hope will be able to get another mini schroeder when i can afford it. I may even go for a 1212.

I did have the wizzy for 6 months and was quite famaliar with its sound. Very hi-fi in my opinion, while myself, I prefer a more vintage tone.

Because I dont drive, read certified *eco-freak*, size and weight have always been a key concern so my gear choices are limited.

I cant get much better, in my budget, than the mini 12 and clarus.

11. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    :confused: Interesting, my Wizzys sound much more vintage to me than other "hi-fi" cabs, like Bergs and the rest of EA's line-up. This stuff is so subjective, it's crazy sometimes! :)

I think the Schroeder cabs can cop a vintage vibe, but I still think the Wizzy is "vintage-ier".

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    That could be because I have only heard the wizzy with my clarus. Nevertheless, with the clarus the mini 12 sounds more vintage to me than the wizzy ever did.

It could also be that I am kind of new to all this stuff... I have only been playing since August 2004 and these last months are my first endeavour into the bass gear world. That said, take what I say with a grain of salt. :ninja:

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts! It is interesting (though entirely believable) that the Mini has more low end than the Wizzy, but I wonder if you could expound on how the mids and highs compare?

Thanks, Tom.

14. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I appreciate your honesty, but you're right on in trusting your own ears! :)

I associate hi-fi with a full bottom end, myself, and I do agree with your assessment of the Wizzy having less bottom -- which is exactly why I don't think of the Wizzy as being hi-fi. I have found the Wizzies to be very responsive to bass EQ, however, and a little nudge on the low end really rounds them out nicely. Also, as our resident EA master Tom Bowlus has pointed out in other threads, two Wizzies really do add up to more than the sum of their parts, and part of that phenomena is a fuller bottom end, IME.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    To my ears the wizzy had a very clean, transparent tone while the schroeder was deeper and darker (but darker in a good way). There are more low mids and, like I said previously, way more depth to the schroeder. Also, its just *way* louder. It got loud fast, where with the wizzy there was much more master volume knob turning required to get the same loudness.

When I cranked the bass eq to 10 on the clarus yeah, i got some nice useable low frequency. However, with this combo I couldnt go that loud before distortion occured with the bass eq maxed like that. I wish I could and thats why I sold it; well along with the related volume issue. When I do the same with schroeder its just incredible amount of bass that comes out... like a bass cab should sound IMO.

The horn on the mini does a good job of bringing out the highs, but i just did a quick test of this because I dont like too much highs in my sound. I have to say that I dont much care for the attentuator knob on the back. There is quite a bit of resistance when you turn it. Also, the knob is kind of askew and doesnt turn in a perfect circle (ie wobbly) like you would expect it to. I bought this mini used (two weeks old) so that may be a factor re the knob. I dont really care too much though as I will basically set it at 9o'clock and rarely touch it.

If you ever used a mixer with a pair of in ear head phones, plugged your bass into it and cranked the bass eq to 10... thats the sound... the level of low-end the schroeder produces is close (of course, without the headphones).

Again, I should say I havent been able to crank the volume on the schroeder yet; that's tomorrow. Then I will be able to see if it can still attain those lows (or close to them) at a much louder volume.

I would have like to hear two wizzys, but they are quite uncommon up here. From people I have talked, no one has seen one in and around Vancouver.

But in my estimation, if one schroeder mini 12+ sounds this good two of them would be heartstopping!

16. I think a pair of Wizzys sounds awesome.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed. One of the best rigs I have heard.

18. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cool review.

I wonder which one cuts through the mix better?

19. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    No :confused:

20. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    he's got a gag order from high court concerning commenting on gear.

can you comment more explicitly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.