1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schroeder Mini 12+ Driver replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by curt72, Oct 6, 2013.

1. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    Hi guys,

I have an old Schroeder Mini 12+ L (4 Ohm) from approx. 2006. This was still the old design with the speaker positioned at an angle (not the newer pyramid ones!).

I gigged with this quite a lot until the speaker blew some years ago. Back then I contacted Jorg about speaker replacement, because the driver did not have any label on it, but never got an answer. And as at that time I happened to start playing more rock type/bigger gigs (and got myself an UL310), the Schroeder just got shelved and started gathering dust.

Now I would like to re-activate the little fellow, as I am concentrating more on jazz work again. So I contacted Jorg again, but again with no luck.

With the friendly help and input from KJung I was pretty much able to determine, that the original driver very probably is an Eminence Kappalite 3012 HO. Now I am wondering about my following options for repairing the cab:

1.) Replace with identical Kappalite 3012 HO, obvious solution.
    2.) Swap it for the Kappalite 3012 LF, which I hear has a slightly warmer bass extension which actually would improve the sound of the cab as it was a little shy on the lower bass. Could I do a straight swap, or is there further changes necessary to the crossover (it has a horn)?
    3.) These cabs were originally also offered as an R-Version with a ceramic driver (non-neodym). Does anybody know, what drivers these were? It could be a low cost fix, again perhaps even with an improved bottom end.

The original speaker was the 4 ohm version, now I want to swap it for an 8 ohm speaker, does this affect the horn / crossover design?

I am going to use this for low-medium volume jazz gigs only, playing with my Fender type jazz basses (4 string fretted and fretless), amp is an Eden WT550.

Thanks for any input!

Curt72

2. midnite

midnite

Dec 3, 2008
    Did you try to call Jorg?He always answers and is extremely helpful in my experience.I've spoken to him on numerous occasions.The phone number is on the web site!!!!

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The original driver can't be a Kappalite 3012HO because that speaker didn't come onto the market until about 2009. It also isn't available as a 4 ohm version unless you got an OEM sample or production run and it's also extremely hard to blow. Maybe it's a 2512? I know at some point there were Celestions in them too.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The picture the OP sent showed a driver that looked amazingly like the 3012HO. Might have been some sort of OEM thing. However, +1 if it was 4ohms (didn't realize that), it would have to be an OEM version of the HO or DeltaLite. The 3012HO should work pretty well though, given that the slant kind of band passes that very bright top end out a bit of that driver IMO. And _+1, it will never blow again most likely!

Anyway, it was definitely an Eminence driver that physically resembled the 3012HO (that huge cooling sort of fin design).

The LF would not be a good option in any way.

Maybe if the OP posts the picture of the driver, you guys can identify what it actually is.

5. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    Hi, thanks for your replys.

I did not know the Kappalites were not introduced until 2009.

Strange, as the cab is definitely from 2006, and the geometry of the speaker, frame, magnet and everything looks exactly like the Eminence Kappalite HO as you can see from attached pics (sorry for bad quality).

I will probably just ring Jorg and ask him, good idea!

Attached Files:

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The 2512 looks like that too - measuring the magnet diameter will tell us either way.

PawleeP likes this.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The ones in my 21012L were OEM version Deltalite IIs, with longer Xmax than the stock ones.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

This is probably the case. It would explain the 4 ohm impedance also, Thanks Charlie.

I would doubt if Jorge has any of those any more, but probably worth a call to him,

What is your feeling about the OP replacing with an 8 ohm 3012ho? Would that work pretty well and not screw with the original crossover?

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Jorg was always very responsive to me, but maybe try calling him rather than emailing. He just might have recone kits kicking around, which could be a viable option.

I doubt if there is a full crossover in there, probably just a high pass. If so, sounds like a plan. I've never heard this driver though, no idea how it'll sound in that box.

Avatar and Epifani used similar OEM drivers at one time or another too, I think.

10. I just emailed Jorge a couple of weeks ago about my 15+. He is now using B&C speakers. He has always answered my emails even on Sunday!

11. yes, just call Jorg on the phone, he will do whatever he can to help you out.
    Just UPS it to him and have him do his magic and when it comes back you will be happy.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The OP is in the UK, so shipping, etc. would not be an option. I was assuming the tweeter is a simple hi pass, so I would think the 3012HO would be a pretty good and simple fix for him.

13. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    Hi, thanks for all your input. I was searching the house from top to bottom today, only to find the empty cab without the driver... When moving country from Ireland to Germany three years ago I must have thrown it out in the believe that it is unrepairable...

So I can't measure the magnet size, but I think the guess about the 2512 is spot on! The frame has a slightly different geometry the the 3012 HO which I only noticed when having the comparison.

The 2512 is only 250 watts, right? That would perhaps explain the fact that I blew it? It sais 500W@4ohm though on the back of the cab.

Hmm, still want to ring Jorg and ask him about it. Would anybody feel that the 2512 would be better suited tonewise for a jazz gig?

14. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    Ok, just a quick update on this one.

I actually gave Jorg a bell yesterday, and sure enough there he was on the phone. We had a very nice chat (in German) and he told me about his new custom made B&C drivers, which he recommended as a replacement for the Eminence.

He was not quite sure which Eminence speaker was originally in my cab (he has built a few with different drivers before and since 2005...), but I am convinced it is some sort of a Deltalite as Passinwind and alexclaber suggested.

Jorg was so nice to offer me the replacement at self cost, so I am very grateful for his quick and friendly help, and really looking forward to getting the B&C. So +1 to Jorg's customer service!

I will give a report once I have it installed and had a chance to play it a bit.

cheers,
    curt72

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Excellent!

16. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Yep, that sounds like the Jorg I know. He's a great guy to hang out with in person too.