Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder Mini12 vs Berg 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirk P Brosius, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Hello everybody,

I'm tossing this out one more time to see if anyone has a few words of wisdom or advice.

I play an iAmp800 through a Schro1210 with my Ken Smith 5 on a weekly basis with great results. I need a smaller cab, for the dinner gig at a small pub, which has great tone and portability. The Schro seems to the logical choice but how about the Berg?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I live in the Colorado Rockies where there are no music stores close by to try new gear. My closest source is GuitarX in Denver and I have no time to get down there foe a listen.

Thanks for any help. I love this site!!!

Regards, Kirk

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a mini 12+ and i like it alot. the dude who sold it to me said he preferred the tone of his berg. if you decide to go for the schro and want to save some cash get the one without the horn. knowing what i know now thats what i would have done. however, i only paid $475 so i aint complaining.

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I preferred the tone of my HT112 to my 1210!!

4. Lot's of great gear out there but I too prefer the tone of my HT112 over the 1210.

5. How does the HT112 compare with the 1210 as far as overall volume? From what I've read here, the 1210 is a relatively loud box for a 2-driver cab.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Well you're trying to compare apples and oranges now because the Schroeder 1210 is at least twice the size and twice as many speakers, although one HT112 does get surprisingly loud for its size. The comments were in regard to tone, not volume. That being said, I'll take 2 HT112's anyday over the Schroeder 1210 for tone AND volume.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    BTW --

Schroeder 1210:
    16"H x 23"W x 16"D & 47 lbs

Bergantino HT112:
    15"H x 17-1/2"W x 13"D & 39 lbs

twice as big would be 30" x 35" x 26" & 78 lbs

my Schro 410 is only 23" x 23" x 16" & 78 lbs

8. It's definitely not fair comparing the 1210 with the HT112, but that's not the issue (see top); the question was if someone had compared the Mini 12+ with the HT112;
    since these cabs have a different measurement, a tonal difference should be obvious.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a 1210 too and I dont think you can get a more powerful cab in such a compact package that cuts thru in a band situation.

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Well it sure felt like twice as big as awkward as it is to carry compared to the Berg. Maybe it was the fact that Berg's tone was twice as good that had me confused.

11. The 1210 is much louder than the Ht112, but as others have mentioned the original question was about the Mini12+ and I've never played one so I couldn't say.

Hey Jorg hope your feeling better.. sounds like it !! :hyper:

12. cjc1999us

cjc1999us

Feb 27, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Both are very good cabinets, no doubt about it. I tested both live; the Bergie had a little more high end, the Mini 12+ more warmth and depth. When it gets louder, the Bergie gets a little lost in the mix, while the Mini still keeps going;
    I've kept the Schroeder

13. If you want a little more high end in your Schroeder (not sure you do... but you mentioned the Bergie had a little more)... do the tweeter swap the Jorg makes available... it really does the trick.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting......I've owned Berg 112's for a few years now and the one thing I'd never say is that they get lost in a mix. That's one thing they don't do. To me, the Berg's sound like whatever bass or amp I put through them with a round, tube-like bottom and a bump in the high mids, which is what helps them cut through. My sound is very warm but is always heard throughout the room. I personally have no need to play anything else, unless it's another Berg cab.

15. What if the bass or amp you put through them doesn't have a round, tube-like bottom or a bump in the high mids ;)

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What I'm saying is that these are qualities of the cabinet that add to the instrument and amp's inherent sound.

17. I know... sorry... :D

PS I played out of a Berg210 recently... very nice and you describe the sound very well....

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No worries. Please be aware that I have no comment on the Schroeder. I've not played through one of Jorg's cabs, although Jorg is great! How's the Glock Jorg?

I only posted because I have never heard or played a Berg that didn't cut through the mix. I would suggest that it had something to do with a different part of the signal chain. However, the schroeder worked out for him and that's great. I don't want to speak for Jim but I'm pretty sure that cutting through the mix is part of his ideas for design.

19. I know this isn't part of the thread... but quickly... I've almost bought a Glock about 100 times... and always pulled back because of the relatively low wattage. How do you like the Soul head... is it plenty loud. I see they have a big one out now (the Heart Rock... or something like that), but it's three rack spaces and heavy. I've heard great things about the Glocks, but have never been able to find one to check out.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've gotta head out but I'll PM you later about the Glockenklang amps.