Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder or Yorkie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Okay, here's the situation.

I have a Yorkville XS400H amp.

I just bought a new Yorkville XC808 cabinet. I was planning on trying it out with the band last night but practise was cancelled - so I have absolutely no real world experience with it so far. My 10-day return policy expires in 6 days and I have no practises planned in that time.

However, I have located a Schroeder dealer here in Canada (Guelph) - their cabinets get rave reviews. It would cost me a couple of hundered extra to crossgrade (I actually got a pretty good deal on the XC808). I'm looking at a 1212 or 1210.

I play mostly rock, blues, pop and Contemporary Christian (Hillsong, Delerious etc). I need a cab that's going to suit me and can be heard above a set of drums. The XC808 is REALLY heavy, BUT it handles quite a lot of power, in fact, more than I have available.

I have no way of hearing the Schroeder before my 10-day return policy is expired on my XC808. D'OH!

So, question is this: Should I take the chance and return the XC808 without ever hearing a Schroeder? Is the Schroeder going to put enough volume, or even close to
    what a XC808 can? Is the tone suitable to my style of playing? Is it worth the extra cash?

Thanks all for your input!

- Andrew

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Where is the downside to returning the cabinet and waiting to try something different?

3. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You could always return the Schroeder and buy the Yorkie again if you didn't dig the Schroeder.

I just switched from a SWR 15" and Avatar 210 to a Schroeder 1212. The 1212 just somkes 'em.

You should go for it. I doub't you'll be disappointed.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I once played a Yorkville 210 a year or two ago, and I wasn't quite impressed...

The 1210 is strong in the lows and low mids. I could cut through well with it, it's the type that you hear it's in the right place in the overall mix/sound, but not in your face; by itself it won't make you go "oh wow", it excels however at live use.
    Oh and it can take a lot of power, while it's not power-hungry. It's rated at 850W, and has a sensitivity rating of 102 dBs at 1 m. It's plenty loud.
    You'll enjoy the change in weight. I'm not quite strong, actually I'm pretty thin (about 6'4" and 145-150 lbs) but I can lift and move my entire rig (cab, amp, bass).

5. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I replaced an SWR Big Ben and a Hartke 210 with a Schroeder 410. It smokes both cabs!!! Go for the Schroeder, Its really that good.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The 1210 or 1212 will do any type of music, sound great doing it, and get loud as heck.

7. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I replaced an Ampeg BXT 410 cab with a Schroeder 1210. The tone did take a little time getting used to in our practice room, but now I have dialed it in. Live it is always amazing no matter what room.

Oh, and in the first practice I had with the Schroeder, I put on top of the 410. My band was absolutely shocked at the end of the practice when I told them I was only plugged into the Schroder and not the 410 as well. The output literally that unbelivable.

Much better consistent bottom end than the BXT 410. The highs are more defined too, but I still like the tone I get out of the BXT 410 so I haven't sold it yet.