Schroeder owners: describe the Schroeder "sound"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by um... yeah, Jan 5, 2005.

What were you using before Schroeder?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2005.
  1. Eden

8 vote(s)
  2. SWR

2 vote(s)
  3. Ampeg

3 vote(s)
  4. Other

19 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Here's my story:

I've had the same Eden D410T for thirteen years and I've been very happy with it. Now I'm looking for a more flexible modular setup for small gigs as well as clubs.
    I'm looking for some new 210 cabs but I'm torn between Eden, Bag End, and... I'm afraid I too have been zapped by the Schroeder hysteria as well, lol.
    Eden and Bag End are known quantities to me and right now I'm leaning towards the latter (I like the rear port style, hence the Eden D410T), but I really want to hear what you Schroeder devotees out there have to say about your setup. Also mention what you were using before and how they compare.
  2. I apologize if I left out your speaker company in the poll. :oops:
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would characterize the Schroeder sound vs. the Eden sound this way.

The Eden tweeter is capable of more hiss, and more highs. The Schroeder tweeter is a little more mellow, but is also a lot more musical sounding.

The Schroeder doesn't have as prominent of a midrange hump as the Eden cabinets that I am familiar with. While it isn't flat, it is flatter than any Ampeg, SWR or Eden that I have heard. But it has that little something in the response curve that makes it cut through the mix better than anything I have ever played through.

I am a former Ampeg, Eden, SWR and Peavey user.
  4. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    My first Eden cab was the 410T. Great cab. First of all, don't get rid of it to try something new...keep it as a reference until you find something you like well enough to keep for another 13 years.

What are you looking for in terms of sound? More bass? More highs? Louder/quieter?

My most recent cab is an Epifani 310UL. It has a lot of the tightness characteristics of the 410T, but a LOT more bass and a more balanced frequency spectrum. It also has a lot more clarity with a much smoother tweeter. And the best weighs 47lbs...about half of the 410T but with more output and fidelity. Makes my Eden 410XLT sound sloppy (I still like Eden though). The bad part is it costs a whole bunch of cash.

I really liked the new Eden 210XST. It would be a good cab for a modular system. Actually, that paired with your 410T would be a fab large venue system. As a standalone, the 210XST would probably rival your 410T at lower volumes.

I wasn't blown away by the Schroeders...wasn't bad but did seem to color the sound somewhat like Eden does...but the main thing that turned me off at the time was that they only made 4ohm cabs...meaning that to use two cabs together, I would need a two channel head or one that could go down to 2 ohms...neither of which I owned.
  5. Thanks for the mini review Larz :D ,

I'm really trying to get an idea of what the Schroeder is best at. Since I'm nowhere near a place where I can try one, I just want to gauge people's opinions and go from there. I emailed Jorg a few times and we chatted, nice guy. So far, just by reading the other threads in here about them, I'm getting "loud, amazing spread etc. etc."

Yeah, I fully intend to hang on to the 410T, probably because I've never tried Epifani's! But I guess I could sum up what I'm looking for by saying "more". And Tonally, I always try to get a deep full natural sound through the whole frequency range; passive eq, ALWAYS. Also I'm getting tired of hauling this monster to smaller gigs where it's obviously overkill. I mean it's bad enough I have a 6U roadrack!
  6. Very interested to see where this post goes...

I have been reading the other Schoeder posts, but want to see what the bottom line is.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played BagEnd through the 90s then a couple years with Ashdown while planning to step into a Berg NV215.

The Schroeder cabs are just the best for me... more balls them the BE stuff, more HiFi then the NV without being sterile... real nice low mids... they punch like the BE but at a bit lower frequency, not overly boosted, but a nice low mid "burp"

as far as the 4 ohm thing... I run mine in series for an 8 ohm load. I loose 200 watts from my bridged Crown (900watts @ 8 ohms) but my all tube head is cool with either a 4 or an 8 ohm load.
  8. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    i used a peavey 412tvx for a few years before switching to schroeder. (21012) i have never been happier. the peavey had a lot of bottom but it was mid scooped and harsh on the high end. (foster tweet like swr and a bunch of others) i had a hard time cutting through. the 21012 doesn't quite have the lows of the 412 (without eq), but it sounds perfect in the mix. it's like it's hi-fi when you want it to be, but smooth too. almost like the tweeter only comes on when you want it to. i've never heard a tweet that blends so seemlessly into different styles of playing. overall the sound is very even. it does have a pronounced mid hump, but imo it is in exactly the right place. i use a custom built tube pre with passive tone controles so getting the right tone is a snap just back off the highs to taste depending on the room. perfect.
    and the best part they're light! 74 pounds for a stand alone cab that will handle an outdoor gig unmiked. unbelievable!
    oh did i mention that they are loud.

gotta go load up right now. the gig's in about 2 hours.
  9. ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'll write a more complete post later, but I want to stress the point now that the 21012, in my experience, can indeed sound like Ampeg stuff if you want it to . It is equally capable of a more Eden-esqe sound, per your gear and EQ settings. The sum of my experience with this cab so far, with which I must say I'm very happy, is that though it does have a bit of a low-mid hump, it is very flexible and amenable to different EQ settings and gear. No matter what you do, though, you will get solid, deep, muscular sound out of a 21012.
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no scroeder experience here. I sometimes miss my swr made by eden goliath 1 which is essentially an eden 410t. I replaced it with a bag end 1x15. i usd both together for a long time and the bag end had just as much punch and volume as the 410. Different sound, but every bit as cool and much more portable.

as for the epifani 310UL, that is one EVIL cab. I used to think that maybe i'd get another 410t one day, but after playing one of the 310ULs and picking it up, heh. I want 2 of them just so i can juggle them. :p
  11. I just got a 1210 recently and used it for the first time for my NYE gig...I used to use 2 Aguilar GS12s, and while I really like the sound of the Aggies when played solo, in a band context (especially a LOUD band like the one I played with) they seemed to disappear in the mix...the Schroeder just cuts thru nicely without having to turn way's kind of close to a Bag End 4x10 I used to have in sound, but really, it's a sound all its own...I'm VERY happy so far...just waiting for my replacement corners to come in that got damaged in shipping... ;)
  12. I mailed you replacement corners out last Monday, so you should have them very soon
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    My first real bass system was a Nemesis NC-210P combo.
    Then I got my Dem 201S and QSC PLX1602 with a Berg HT322.
    Major tone (& volume) upgrade (the Nemesis was actually pretty decent tone for the money, but I ran into volume and intermittant noise issues).
    The Schro 410 tone sort of reminds me of the older Mesa 4x10 Diesel or RR cabs, but with a tighter, deeper, more powerful (great 'cut-through') tone with much more decibels available, and very smooth treble.

Low end is tighter than the HT322 which is very good.
    Midrange and treble are not as 'sweet & polite' as the Bergs, which means it works better for me in a band setting.

As always, YMMV.
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You know, I hadn't though of that, but having heard the Schroeder 410 and owning a Boogie Diesel 4x10, there is a certain similarity there. But don't forget that the Boogie weighs 120 lbs, so portability goes to the Schroeder, for sure!
  15. Thanks ppl for your input. :cool:

Not to derail this thread (like that hasn't happened before) but I just discovered an Epifani dealer in my city. I'm feeling those T-210s bigtime. Would not a pair of those deal a righteous sound to the unwashed masses? :D
  16. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I took a bigger jump than most here. I was using Hartke 3500 with a 210XL and a 115XL. Now I have the Schroeder 21012 with a BBE BMax T and a Carvin DCM1000. I was really blown away with the clarity of the Schroeder. It has more presence than almost anything I've ever heard. I did hear an Eden rig when they were brand new that blew my skirt up, but it was way more than I was willing to put out for a rig at the time. The biggest thing I can't get over about my new rig is how it cuts through everything so well that I am actually running at a lower overall volume than I was with the Hartke. Every note that I play is so clear that I now understand what people were talking about when the said it has a "piano-like" clarity. It doesn't mean that the bass sounds like you're playing a piano, it means that the bass is clear and concise the same way a piano is.
  17. Okay now you got my attention. Anytime anyone uses the phrase "piano like clarity" in a sentence, my GAS starts acting up again. Please, be careful, be kind; it's the humane thing to do. :)
  18. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Perhaps my experience will be of some interest to you. . . although you might also consider it extremely inhumane. :D The cabs I was using before I got my Schroeder 1210 were Epi's, and I've still got an Epi 212 cab, and a T-112 on the way. Epifani cabinets were easily my favorites on the market until the Schroeders came out. I've owned Eden, SWR, Warwick, and played through (both live and instore) Aguilar, Berg, AccuGroove, among others... the Epi's just help me say what I want to, with the tone and inflection I want to say it. I love them. . .

**Quick comment on the T-310... I've only experienced the NYC, not the UL, but I think that cab can be placed in the "truly remarkable" category as well. I like 10's a lot, but if I could only choose one, I'm personally more of a 12 guy. Luckily I don't have to choose only one. Either way, Nick really put something special together in that cabinet. . .

That said, the 1210 hasn't completely unseated the Epi's, but I can't really easily call a favorite between the two. Very different character between the two, and although I've read the comparisons to Ampeg (which made me a bit nervous before hearing them - I'm not an Ampeg fan), the Schroeders do have a character all their own. They seem more "aggressive" than the Epi's, but that term is somewhat misleading because they're in no way harsh at all. I agree with the comments made about the tweeter. I don't know whether it's the titanium, something else, or a combo at work, but it is the sweetest I've heard.

This is true as well, in my experience. . . if my last comments weren't very helpful, then this is going to be completely worthless, and some may completely disagree with this assessment. While my 1210 does retain a "piano-like clarity," I would say that my Epi does too, again, they're just different. The quality, maybe flavor is a more apt way of describing it, of tone is just different.

I know this is easier said than done, but I would encourage you to try them both, preferably side by side, but at least play them both. As I said, I'm awaiting an Epi 12 and although I've thought about getting another Epi 12, I may try to pick up a 10 and run a comparison of the 1210 and the two Epi's. They're both somewhat "colored" cabs, whereas the flatness of an AccuGroove is arguably less colored. But we could probably argue the definition of colored tone all day, frequency bumps, etc...

The point is that it's all subjective. As great as these threads are (and you've been around here a lot longer than I have so I'm probably preaching to the choir), there are so many superlatives and adjectives bandied about here that I often have to stop myself from making decisions based on reviews. And I love this place, don't misunderstand, but it's easy to second-guess a decision or opinion based on one that differs if your experience with that particular piece of gear is limited. Wow, I need to shutty. . . :oops: :rollno:
  19. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Ok,ok,ok. Maybe "piano-like clarity" is bandied about a little too often in this forum (and I used to play piano!), but it does really fit my Schroeder, BBE, Carvin set-up.
  20. I read most of the megathread and got alot out of it... but that was started months ago and was the only the beginning...

What I want to know is (not trying to divert the original post) buyers impressions months after the purchase.

You know, after the GAS high burned off. :p