Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schroeder questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, Feb 4, 2006.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I need some info on Schroeders, but I'm afraid of the Schoeder mega-thread:p !

The cab would be used primarily primarily for contemporary Christian and praise worship, in medium size venues (300 or so). It would be a stand alone cab but with PA support in the larger venues. I plan to power it with a QSC, or perhaps a Focus SA.

My questions:

1) 1210 or 1212? Are they really very different? I'd like opinions on which might be more appropriate for the use described above.

2) Lights or regulars? Is there a big difference in sound? The lighter weight would be a boone as far as my back is concerned, but even the regular Schroeders are pretty light. IMO, it's not worth too much trade off in terms of tone.

Thanks for any advice and sorry if it's redundant-- I just can't get through the hundreds of pages on the Schroeder mega-thread:p .

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Listen, go for the 1210, you'll love the way you sit in a praise mix. Nice and thumpy.

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

Light or regular? Or do you think it matters?

4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    jorg tells me that the light ones do sound a lot different than the regular ones. a bit less meat.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I looove my 1210. There's plenty of low end to be had with this box. I've not tried a 1212, but I understand they're beefier down low. My best advise to you is to call Jorg and speak to him personally about your needs. He's very attentive to your needs, and no one knows his product line like him...super guy!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    alot of guys seem to think the 1210 has more of an authoritative punch, and tend to opt for it. i've seen a few guys sell off their 1212 for the 1210, and were perfectly happy not noticing much of a volume change.

light vs. regular is still up in the air, cause only a few gents got 'em. but so far, peeps like 'em. and yes, i ordered a 1210 light. :bag:

7. if you are having trouble deciding then just contact jorg he is a nice guy.

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Thanks for all of the valuable input. I will contact Jorg. Thought I might wait until I was a bit closer to a decision though since I'm alos considering the IP Bergantino (one less box to carry!).

One other question: I may be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that the 1210 is 4 ohm only and therefore basically a stand-alone only cab, whiile the 1212 can be had in 4 or 8 ohms. From what i've read, either cab should meet my needs without an extension cab, but still, it would be nice to ahev the option of addiing another cab down the road;) .

Are my facts right?

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    bumpage.

I guess everyone is tired of talking about Schroeders?:confused:

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ummm, big suggestion here...try the schroeder before you buy. one person's idea of "your sound" is different from another persons idea. I burned myself because I bought strictly on user recommendations, well not strictly, I tried another cab from the same company, but that cab turned out to NOT have the same or similar sound in my opinion and I didn't like the sound. adding stupid move on top of another I bought a bigger cab from said (or not) company and was still disappointed. after THOUSANDS of dollars changing hands and shipping charges backcharged to me I finally demo'd another company WITH THE BAND and was very and AM STILL very happy with my choice.

Lesson learned: (EDIT this needs to be bigger...)

NEVER BUY ONLY ON SOMEONE'S OPINION. ALWAYS HEAR THE EQUIPMENT WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT. TRY IT WITH THE BAND IF POSSIBLE....THEN BUY.

Edit for James: my problem was not with schroeder. I like the 1210 with the band, but not solo sound.

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Thanks! That is sound advice. I do have access to several brands of cab that would be possible candidates, but many would have to be shipped.

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    don't forget to try aguilar!!!!

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I own both cabs (1210 & 1212), so I think I'm qualified to answer this question.

There is certainly a tonal difference between the two cabs. I A/B them all the time, and I can tell you that the 1212 is the darker sounding of the two. The 1210 for me is the most flexible of the two. It has a great lowend, but it also has great mid punch that really gives this cab an edgy tone that the 1212 can't get. If I'm going to only own one of these cabs, between the 1210 and 1212, I go with the 1210 because it can do it all. The 1212 has a massive lowend that makes it a perfect compliment to the 1210 if you want to have the perfect stack.

So, to sum it up, if you want to own one, the 1210 is the most flexible tonally. If you want the best stack, go 1210 and 1212, and you won't be disappointed.

14. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    This is great feedback-- just the sort that I was hoping for. Thanks Halftooth!

Being that the lights are so new, I guess there's nobody out there yet who's done a similar real world a/b between the regular and light models?

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    what was the cab you tried and the bigger one you bought twice?

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Well being here in london its not practical to try before i buy a Schroeder so i have gone by the recomendations of Jorg and all the guys involved in the Megathread
    Should be here in a few days so im praying ill like it but considering what im coming from it cant be any worse and im sure its a whole lot better

Dave.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Arrrg! This is even more confusing. They say the 12's are punchy but just more bassy then the 12's??? I need an 8ohm cab,...I was looking at the 12's, now I'm confused!

18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    If you're looking for one 8ohm cab for say an Eden WT-800 or something similar, I'd go with the 1210 for sure. I personally don't care for the 1212 by itself because it lacks the definition and punch that the 1210 has. I do like the 1212 as a second cab to go along with something smaller that is more likely going to punch or cut. The 1212 does add a good amount of lowend which is why I think it's a good secondary cab.

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

That's the exact head I have. I was considering getting the head upgraded but I would rather just get a good cab, then add another 4 ohm cab to run my head in stereo for outside gigs..this way I save some money.

But you say the 1210 is the way to go..Hmmm

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I hvae a 4 ohm 1210. It kills with the wt800B. I run it bridged at 1100 watts, the 1210 eats it all, no worries.
    I also have a 4 ohm Schroeder 410. I did try running them both with the 800B in stereo. It was devastingly awesome:) That's a lotta gear to move tho. It was a sonic orgy, and worth it tho...