Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schroeder slap tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    how versitile are the schroeder cabs? ive read tons of reviews from rock/blues players but no funk related goods. will this thing makes some bootys move and get funky wid it or what? i was just thinking how perfect a cab with a 12 and a 10 would be for my smaller gigs... low and behold the schroeder 1210! :hyper: im thinkin the 1210 for smaller gigs and adding a 12 or 210s for bigger gigs. i plan on powering it with a gk 1001rb-II. so whos tried some funky stuff (slap) with their schroeder cabs?

2. Do a search (I know it's a lot to go through :eek: ) I mentioned the Selenium tweeter option for more modern funk style playing using the Schroeder quite a few times.... to the point where some TBers are probably rolling their eyes (i.e.... not KJung again with the Selenium option)! But since you asked :D .... it really does sizzle and pop... makes that little 1210 sound great for 'new round wound sound slap and fingerstyle

3. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

though I've only had my 1212 for less than a week....it meets all my needs stylistically (slapping, tapping, fingerstyle)....I've found it to be be really even keeled all across the tonal spectrum. Switching from slap to fingerstyle I'm not hearing any loss of tone or punch, etc. like I've experienced with other cabinets.

I play music ranging from funky acid jazz to heavy tribal metal, and this cab sounds great for all of it.

All I need now is more power.

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    what are you powering it with at the moment?

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    No problem getting a nice round slap tone from my Schroedies :bassist:

6. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

an Ampeg svt4 bridged....so 1200watts into 4 ohms.

7. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    *gag* and you need more power? :eyebrow: and i thought i liked it loud... :D :bassist:

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    At the last DFW GTG, Mark White (Spin Doctors) gave a bass clinic playing through my system (see my signature) with his 4 string StingRay.

Incredible slap tone (and everything else)!

[I have the regular titanium tweeter.]

9. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Not the selenium tweeter again KJ! :rolleyes: ;) Actually I'm interested. Does the optional brighter tweeter have any more hiss than the standard one? Does the sound of the two tweeter models overlap? By that I mean can you turn the selenium tweeter down enough to get the sound of the standard tweeter? Thanks!

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    No problems slapping here :D :cool:

My 1210 has Jorg's standard tweeter which I happen to love, it's not brittle or hissy at all even when turned all the way up, and between my Cirrus and the GK I get a great slap tone out of it. If you want even more "zing", you may want to ask Jorg about the Selenium tweeter option.

[​IMG]

- Ugly.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I loooove to get funky with a drummer (or at home :p) and the Schroeder does it marvelously. Tight and punchy with enough booty to get you (and everyone else) moving.

12. No hiss at all. I actually ordered the cab with the tweeter due to a number of comments from TBers on the Schroeder Mega Thread stating that they were a little unhappy with a lack of 'zing' in the high end with the Schroeder. Jorg recommended this tweeter, and I'm really happy with it. When you turn it down, my limited experience with the standard tweeter (in a 1212 I briefly checked out) is that it is similar, but still a little 'brighter' than the standard tweet. Email Jorg and he will give you the exact scoop... or maybe he will respond on this thread.

As you can see from comments above, a lot of players are happy with the standard tweeter for their slap sound, so I'm sure it's fine. However, I've heard so many bassists playing live that slap away with no treble getting through to the audience (people have a way of really sucking up high end in a live setting), that I'm very sensitive (and maybe a little fanatical :D ) about the entire range of that tone getting out to the audience. So, if you really like a Norm Stockton modern or Marcus Miller old school slap tone with lots of high treble definition, the selenium option will get you there.

PS I've noticed a few comments also by TBers of running the Schroeder with the tweeter 'all the way up'... another indication of the difference with the Selenium is that I usually have mine set at about 9 o'clock.... so again, it gives you more room to play with if that's the sound you are after.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    My 1210 has great slap tone. I have the standard tweeter, and I'm at no loss whatsoever for high end. Tons o' punch!

14. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    ill be playing a very similar rig if i decide to go with the schroeder. 1210, with GK 1001, and peavey cirrus tiger eye. :bassist: does this cab warm up your cirrus finger style at all? schroeder prices went up since the last time i checked! doh! :help: