Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder uses: which way do you point your cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 8, 2005.

1. side firing speakers sideways

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. side firing speakers pointed up at yourself

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. There are sidefiring speakers? never noticed, it just sounds good everywhere;)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other: please describe

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    So, do you guys point the side firing speakers up at you, or leave them side firing "as they're intended to be" as indicated by where the feet are on the cab?

Do you notice a difference one way or the other?

I *sometimes* use my 410 pointed up at me, the 1210 I've left alone so far...

edited for 1210 content

2. Likewise firing up.

I can get away w/one 1212 that way and it is plenty loud and clear. The 1212 replaced 2 Aguilar 112's. It doesn't sit as high but w/the angled speaker up it produces the effect of being taller than it is. To me, it's always been about the cabs ability to cut through cymbals. I've always had to have a stack almost as high as them til now!

3. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I found that, in rehearsals, I was running my rig at a pretty high volume and not hearing it very well. Then I decided to turn my 21012 on it's side to have the angled 12 pointing up. That solved my problem.

Now when I gig, I set it upright. I can get far enough in front of it to hear it just fine in those situations.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I voted "as intended". I never felt the need to flip mine

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I don't have any Schroeders, but if I did I'd make sure one of the side firing speaks was pointed directly at the drummer.

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    As intended. One of the things I like about my Schroeder is that it "sounds" tall. I've never needed to set it up differently, but I'll try it just to check it out.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I tried the upward firing position for awhile.

The first gig I did like that, I just couldn't get the solid low end that I wanted even with EQing my bass and preamp.

Switched back to normal and haven't looked back.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That's exactly what I do, works great.

9. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    You, sir, are a selfless man. Whatever's in the best interest of the BAND!

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If I use the 1212 & 1210 together, I set them up as intended with the 1210 on top. If I use one cab, I usually point the speaker up towards me.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I tried mine on the side, with the angled speaker firing up at me, but I lost some lows.

I prefer it in the 'intended' configuration.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't tried that. I will have to check it out!

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I don't like the pointed up method. I tried it once at practice, and I thought the cab got pretty honkey sounding. Put it back down, and no problem. I haven't had a volume problem, so...haven't even considered it live.

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm usually on the right of the drummer (from his POV). So the speakers are angled at him.. I might try angling them up though...