Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder V. Euphonic Audio

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mattwells, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    Okay, I need someone who has owned both EA and Schroeder cabs to give me a run down. I am looking at trying to find a VL 208 and pair it with a CXL112 or going ahead and buying a 1210. I will be pairing these speakers with an iAMP 500.

I want something transparent enough to use with double bass, portable, and flexible (I will be using it with upright and electric).

What are your impressions of each?

I like the idea of two different cabs (for flexability purposes), but it is not that easy to find a 208, and if the 1210 can do the job just as well, I will go with it.

Matt

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    I've been using a CXL112 for upright and am getting a 1210 on Friday, so can let you know how those 2 compare.
    I have no experience with VL208's, but understand they are wonderful for upright.

3. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    See my other post in this forum as well as my long review of the Schroeders in the Bass Guitar section. Years ago I had VL208 and VL110 cabs that I used alone or in a stack. I sold the VL208 and have kept the VL110 although I'm not using it very much since I like the sound of an Acme B-1 combined with a Clarus better for upright. I also had an iAmp 350 (?) but sold it in order to get the much lighter weight of the Clarus.

I liked the sound of the 208 and I know that there are many here who view it as the holy grail of cabs. I found its 48-pound weight and larger size to too often be a reason for not bringing it, and as a result I sold it. Now that I have a Schroeder 1210, this is clearly my new doubling cabinet and will be the cabinet of choice for any upright gig where I need some volume. Only time and some gigs will tell whether its 45-pound weight will cause me to leave it behind for lower volume gigs in favor of the Contra that I stilll own.

If I had to choose between a VL208 and a Schroeder 1210, I would choose the Schroeder in a heartbeat.

Erik

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I'm not sure that you'd want to combine the Vl208 with the cxl 112 only because the sensitivity is real different on both. The Cxl would be significantly louder than the 208 when paired up. I still have my VL 208 and love it but it only gets brought out for upright gigs where the Clarus/Acme B1 combination isn't loud enough.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, I'll bite: What the heck is a Schroeder 1210?

6. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Check the discussion over in BG amps, it's huge.
    My 1210 came on Friday. I haven't used it on a gig yet.
    At this point, all I can say is it's very different than the CXL112 - much darker.
    OK, now I've played a gig with it.
    My, my....plenty of "low-end punch" as they say. I'm still fooling with eq, but it is as dark as the cxl112 is bright.
    PM me for details.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just wondering if this is from a tonal preference, or if it relates to relative volume, size, or weight.

Thanks, Tom.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    http://www.schroedercabinets.com

it's a nifty little cab with a front facing 12" + tweeter and an angled 10" driver. I've not tried an URB with one, but It's the cab I've used with my slab for the last 2 months.
    :bassist:

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've seen the Schroeder homepage, thanks...I was wondering if the company did anything with 8" drivers, since for DB, I have found that anything larger than an 8" driver tend to thicken up the low end in a very "unacoustic" way the louder you get. Judging by what I see on the Schroeder page, they don't do 8's.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    cool... you could ask Jorg himself, he's very quick to reply (unless he's out gigging). He is on TB as JSCHRO7376

11. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Chris,

I've had my Schroeder 1212 for about two weeks now and have used it almost exclusively for upright playing in a wide range of settings--outdoor but low volume jazz sextet gig, same band indoor rehearsal at a higher volume, an outdoor 18-piece big band gig, and an indoor rehearsal of 13-piece mini-big band playing 1930's music very authentically. This weekend I'm playing a wedding of 250 people with the thirties band, and a five-hour piano trio gig in a back yard so I'll have two more data points. My bass is an excellent carved instrument (Hatchez) with a Schertler StatB pickup. I've used both my WW Ultra amp and my new AI Focus amp since I'm still trying to figure out the Focus and how it works.

I've not had any issues with the sound of my instrument being anything other than very natural and woody sounding in all of the above situations. From the quietest to the loudest, it has sounded the same to me and this is one of the things I love about this new Schroeder cabinet. Even though I'm mostly playing at low volumes, when I need to crank it up, the Schroeder can handle the volume without getting distorted, flabby, boomy or otherwise colored and bass guitar like.

The Schroeder has become my cabinet of choice for upright, replacing an Acme B1 that was my previous favorite rig (played with a Clarus that I've sold and replaced with the Focus) and I've also us an EA VL-110 that I own. I'm not abandoning the Acme entirely, particularly since its much lighter weight is compelling when off to a low volume duo or trio gig. I'm also hanging on to the VL110 since it is an excellent cabinet. Because they are both so hifi, I may well use the Acme and EA cabinets as satellite PA speakers to wash the stage from the sides when I'm out with my three-horn band on bass guitar.

However, all of these cabinets have speakers larger than 8" and I haven't found this to be a problem in terms of tone changes as volume picks up. I initially bought the 1210 from Jorg, but exchanged it for the 1212 because of the slightly increased richness with upright. The issue may also have much more to do with amp/pre-amp than speaker and that is at the heart of why I sold both an Eden WT400 and an iAmp 350 that I previously owned--they just weren't natural enough sounding with upright. Of course, this is just my humble opinion, and your mileage may vary.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

12. In the development of the Schroeder cabinets, naturally also 8" drivers were taken under consideration. After a while I decided against it for several reasons. Even though the attack is a little faster than from a 10" or a 12" woofer, the current Schroeder configuration just sounded warmer to me for electric and upright.

Of course everybody has the right to a different opinion :)