Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SCHROEDER VS AMPEG STACK IN UK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Oct 22, 2004.

1. I have compared the 1210 cab to my Ampeg stack SVT15E and SVT410HE and this is my findings. I was using an Ashdown EVO300 11 head in both tests as well as a musicman Stingray bass.

The ampeg stack was deeper sounding which had good bottom end, the clarity was average Ampeg, horn was very harsh so i normally turn it off.
    Loudness was close with maybe the Ampeg stack "sounding" louder as it was deeper.

1210 cabinet was very clear, not as deep and rounded as the stack, but very punchy and a very nice horn even on 50% it sounded sweet.This made it a clear sounding cab and only lacked a bit in fullness to the stack. I then compared it to the Ampeg SVT410HE on its own and the 1210 was a better cab, far more punch and clarity.

Conclusion: the 1210 on its own will not beat a full multi cab stack for depth and bass but on its own it is far superior to the single Ampeg cabs.The best match would be 2 x Schroeder cabs in a stack and that would really rock.

For size, weight and portability the 1210 is fantastic and i will use just that at smaller gigs.

For now at the bigger gigs ( we do not have pa support ) i will still use my Ampeg stack for now. When the time comes to travel light to gigs i will use the 1210.

Well done Jorg its everything the Forum says it is, quality product from a quality guy, thanks Jorg.

I will feedback other reviews after a few more experiences of the 1210.

2. Nice review, thanks for sharing.

3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I've been looking at Schroeder cabs for a couple months; I think you may have just pushed me "over the edge"! I've always thought Ampeg' sound to be the best, but just can't handle dragging an 8x10 around anymore...

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just curious about the circumstances of your trial.
    With a full band?
    Live at a club?
    Acoustic environment?

300 or so Watts is not an abundance of power to use -- depending on the above situation.
    800W+ would be cool if you want to get the 1210 really pumping.

5. It was in a medium sized room, concrete floor and walls, pretty dead acoustically and i agree that 300w is not much but its plenty when thats all you need !!

I also had the Ampeg stack with the 15" on the floor with the 410he on top the 1210 on the floor beside the stack.

Ernie Ball Musicman 3 eq 4 string active bass with no eq boost i.e all controls flat.

The Ampeg seemed fuller and deeper but i guess it was taller so my ears at 20ft away were being deceived by the possible fuller sound.

The 1210 on its own compared to the 410 on its own is where the 1210 showed itself to be better so at this stage i am happy the 1210 will out perform the Ampeg 410he cab.

The smoothness of the midrange , upper midrange and top is great, the horn is silky smooth, i even turned it up full to make it sound harsh but it wasnt, it was smooth and very clear. I re set it at 12 oclock and it was a joy to have a nice sounding horn.The Ampeg Horn is very bright and harsh and far too trebly so i normally turn them off on Ampeg cabs.

The amazing thing is that you tend to listen with your eyes!! and you look at tall stack and want to hear huge sounds, you look at tiny cab on floor and expect tiny sounds, trust me that was what my eyes wanted my ears to hear ! However it isnt the case the 1210 is a huge sounding single cab and sounds very very good, My next review after Monday will be loud rock band practice in medium size hall and a week later a live gig on stage small venue, no pa support for backline only our own amps.
    I took a gamble and ordered this from other forum reviews and im sure people will read this and be wondering if the Schroeder cabs are for them.
    Well the only way to find out is get one, borrow one or go hear one, i did get one and im very happy.
    Get one and enjoy
    Mart

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks.

Yeah, my Schroeder 410 stomps everything I've ever heard (except the 21012; I just prefer the tighter low end and punch of the 410).

7. Well had band practice last night took Ampeg stack SVT15E and SVT410HE , Musicman bass and Ashdown ABM300 EVO 11

Played first few songs in hall with Ampeg stack and sounded fine.
    Swopped over to the Schroeder 1210 and it wasnt as loud as my stack but it kept up very well, it was certainly better than the single Ampeg cabs but not as loud as both Ampegs together. I had the Ashdown running at about 3/4 volume and i didnt want to push the amp any further.

The 1210 sounded very nice although it lacked a bit in overall volume.

The next day in a small room i rigged up the whole lot to my Ampeg SVTCL i.e 3 speakers in total and the whole sound was huge.

Therefore my conclusion at the moment is use the 1210 for smaller gigs, use the Stack for medium sized gigs and the Stack and 1210 for larger gigs.

Next week i will do the same test in the same hall but with the Ampeg SVTCL head and push a few more watts through the 1210 on its own !!

All in all the 1210 in outstanding as a single cab but for very loud heavy rock i think maybe two Schroeders or the 410 Schroeder would be better.

My drummer joked saying why have i brought my microwave to band practice as it sat on the floor beside the Ampeg stack.
    Although he did say he liked the sound of the cabinet !!

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's definitely the case. I had my most recent Deep to Deep gathering last Saturday and we spend a session on 'blind listening'. The drill wasn't incredibly rigourous (one or two people setting up and playing the equipment; everyone else sat facing away from them) but it was very enlightening to share what we heard and then find out what order the gear had been played in.

For example, we did a lineup of combo amps - two small units and two larger ones. We were all amazed by the Trace Boxer 30, which was one of the smaller ones; it had a huge sound without even pushing the volume. We even had to ask for that one to be demonstrated again with us watching before we could quite bring ourselves to believe that such a relatively small and cheap unit could be the one that all of us had rated as "best contender"!

The other thing that became apparent in our tests was that different gear works best for different applications. My Ashdown ABM-Mini1x15 (fed by my Sei 6 string into someone elses ABM300 head) definitely had the richest fingerstyle tone compared to an Ashdown 2x8, Ashdown 4x8 and Trace Elliot 4x8; everybody's favourite. However, it wasn't quite so good on the slap riff (although this was with no adjustment on bass and amp to compensate).

The overarching lessons were that, when buying stuff, it's good to use as much of your own gear as you can when trying new bits and that sometimes you can cure GAS by closing your eyes and listening to what you've got! Having said that, I'd love to have a chance to evaluate the sound of one of the Schroeder cabs in similarly relaxed circumstances!

Wulf

9. Hi yes its a shame the Schroeders are not stocked in the UK, however im sure that might change in the future !! ??

Where do you guys rehearse in London ??

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    As they aren't stocked here in the UK did you import yours?!

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    My two bands? This is now veering wildly off-topic but Lovesjones currently rehearse at Enterprise Studios while The Elusive Teeth either meet in the functions room at a conveniently located pub or, when that's busy, at the warehouse belonging to the guitarist.

Wulf

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly! Of course, it isn't enough when you need more... ;) :p

Just being a tool... :D

Seriously, though, I have been reading this thread with some interest. Whenever people start comparing bass cabs, I tingley all over! :hyper:

Thanks for sharing!

Tom.

13. Yes i did import it, speak to Jorg for current price and delivery, i may be able to help you out and or supply a 1210 cabinet if you stuck as we are in talks with Jorg about future imports / sales etc.

The prices are shown on the web site and on average the shipping is about $150 dollars but it takes a while to arrive then you have customs, import duty etc.

Send me a pm message or email me
    enquiries@xlinstruments.co.uk and i can maybe help you source one, i may be able to speed things up etc.

14. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey you should try to put the Schroeder 1210 on top of the Ampeg 1x15. I wonder how that would sound?

15. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm a little curious as to why everyone expects a single Schroeder cab to sound fuller than a multicab configuration from other manufacturers. What about two 1210's compared to the Peg 15/410 stack. That would be more evenly matched. But then there is the problem with Schroeders only available in 4ohms. 1210's only weigh 47lbs, its not out of the question to carry two to larger gigs and one to smaller ones. Anyone use TWO Schroeder cabs together?

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my 1210 alone could replace a 2x10 + 1x15, 2x15, mini stack (Bagend or Berg or other), etc.

As for as a pair together... there are quite a few doing it. I'm waiting for Jorg to ship me a 1212. A 1212 added to my 1210 should be able to beat any "refridgerator" stack out there.

:bassist: IMHO/E :bassist:

(and sound better doing it)

17. I did for a short period only put the 1210 on top of the Ampeg SVT15 ( only short period as ohms were 2.6 ohm together ) the SVTCL was set at 2 ohms. The two together sounded great, better than the SVT 410HE and SVT15 together. I agree two Schroeder cabs together would beat most large stacks i think.

Its a pity Jorg doesnt offer an 8 ohm version or even better a switchable 4 to 8 ohm cab !! so we can mix and match to suit amp / venue etc

18. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I asked Jorg about the 4ohm thing at the Arlington Guitar show. His reply was that you only need one of his cabs, that they are plenty loud.

19. Jorg told me the same and he is right but i think at times you need a stack of cabs and i would of used two x 1210 cabs which i still can if i wanted on my SVTCL valve head but not on my Ashdown head as its 4 ohms minimum.

I guess you could be really cheeky and swop the two 8 ohm chassis for two 16 ohm chassis wire them in parallel to give 8 ohms and then stick it with another cab, but that defeats the small cab aim i guess !!

Im sure Jorg was trying to give us a small 1 off cab that would serve us better than carrying large or multiple cabs to gigs etc, hence keep it to 4 ohms only.