Schroeder VS Bergantino? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommixx, Aug 17, 2004.

1. I have read the super thread...twice...and I don't think I have seen this yet so I'll ask here and in that thread...has anyone compared the Schroeders to a Bergantino HT112/EX112 stack? or a pair of HT112s or a single HT112? I have a pretty good idea of the answer based on the posts so far but I am curious....and starting to, dare I say it, GAS a bit! I am currently running a Demeter HBP-1 into a CA-9 (Read here HEAVY RIG) into the Bergs and I'm loving it but if I could cut that down to a Thunderfunk or an IA800 (which I'm also considering) into a single 1210 and be just as happy.....oh boy! It NEVER ends, does it?

2. TomX
    I'm waiting for my 1210 to show up. I have the Mini Bergs HT/EX stack and love them a bunch. I usually run my Walter Woods Ultra with that set up but also have a Dem 201s and CA9 which I really haven't tried with the mini's yet ... too lazy cause the WWU sounds utterly great. I have the 201S/CA9 for my Berg NV610 which I've stated many times before is completely "whoopin'!!!!" I am trying the 1210 to have just one cab that will do the work of my two mini's so I'll have to let you know my impression when I've tried it a bit. I keep hearing this Aguilar and Eden tone similarity comments which concerns me a bit because I don't care for either one of the tone ranges those cabs favor. That is something one has to find out for themselves. The one key factor that got my interest is the even-throw of the Schroeders don't vary or die out which is what I've experience with every other cab I've owned, so I'm gonna give it a shot, plus the small size and price was a factor. You'll have to wait until I can use the 1210 live because this is the only test that really matters to me in the end.
  3. I anxiously await your review...that is exactly my downsize even further....the mini stack is great, I am VERY happy with my Bergies, happier in fact, than I have been with a rig in a long time, but I could definitely go with a single cab and a 20 lb amp!

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tagging along to make sure I catch Big's review...
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll be waiting too :)

I was planning an NV before jumping on the 1210... I'm real curious of Big String's thoughts on it.

(the Bergs ARE killer cabinets, the Schroeder just better fit my needs)
  6. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    me too

Keep us posted Big!
  7. Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    I, too, am wondering if I can make the gig with only one trip from the car. It will make me feel like a flute player if I can!

Awaiting the verdict.
  8. Just checked the tracking number and it won't be here until tomorrow.... :eyebrow:

Tomorrow my day is scheduled (Thanks Honey) so I try and get back about the 1210 asap. :crying: I'll really can't complain, She (Mrs. String) is really great !
  9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Big String! You da man! Can't wait to hear your report. Don't know if you have a 5 string bass you can test anywhere. Would love to know how the Shroeder handles the Low B. The little Bergies do quite well so I would hope for similar performance on the low end. Thanks! - Gary
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
  11. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Having been lucky enough to hear them myself, at least in the time, place, and situation I heard it in, the low B was handled very nicely. Clear, actually heard the note, not just sound. I'm not even a past-4-strings player, but even I got a kick out of playing a Benevente 6-string through the 1210. Made me realize how useful that lower B string could be!

*pondering* A 5-string, huh...? :eyebrow: Hmm...this may be worth looking into :eek: :D

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    what he said!

I've had my 1210 for a while now and it's actually got me thinking I might need to try an F# equipt bass in the future.
  13. Gear used in testing:
    Demeter 201S + Crest CA9 = DC
    Walter Wood Ultra = WW
    Bergantino HT and EX Mini Stack = Bms
    Schroeder 1210 = 1210
    Lakland USA Joe Osborn Passive = Joe
    Sadowsky NYC PJ/4 Active = Sad
    Both Basses equipt with TI Power Bass Strings.
    Testing area 9x10 bedroom, no baffleling

I started out with the WW going back and fourth to the Bms and 1210 using the Joe. The Joe is a passive bass and is very midrange/growling naturally. With both pickups at the same level I usually am able to get a cleaner more balanced tone. The 1210 had more of a lower midrange presence than the Bms. I soon switched over to the Sad for the rest of my testing. Again the 1210 has more of a midrange presense that I finally eq away some. Making a few adjustments I could get the 1210 as loud as the Bms. I had to cut back the tweeters on both cab setups because the Sad is very bright naturally. So far I prefer the Bms over the 1210 as far as loudness, clarity, and all around tones. I still need to get a better feel for both rigs and the pros and cons. I did buy the 1210 looking for a single cab that could do the work of the Bms. Also, as far as eveness of tones around the room, the 1210 is like any other cab I've had as the tones and sound change depending on were you are standing. Ex. Standing in front of the cab I hear more distortion on the lower notes like E F G. Stooping down and putting my hear level it is much cleaner and smoother which I like. Still, the Bms has more clarity all around.

Moving on to the DC setup. This rig was much more impressive with both Bms and 1210. Of couse this is not my intended purpose I want to use the WW for these cab rigs.
    Huge sound, tone, volume out of Bms and 1210. (note: I never tried my DC rig with the Bms before.) It was also much easier since I had both cab setups hooked up to the DC rig and could switch back and fourth easily. Both setups together with the DC was SO loud I couldn't really manage anything in this small test area. They seem to work together all right but there was so many things vibrating at low volumes it was unrealistic to continue. That setup might be great for outside, Bms + 1210 + DC :eek:

Conclusion for now. I still prefer the Bergantinos to my taste. The 1210 is very impressive but I really have to eq out that very present lower midrange which is usually what cuts the mix, but the Bms also does that very well anyway. Two 1210 cabs might be the ticket of big outdoor shows but I have the Berg NV610 for that purpose and am actually using it more in clubs with the WW which sounds great, and the NV is easy enough to move. Back to the test subjects. I really can't say which is the best or if this is going to work for me without being repetitious with the gear I already have. I would say that the 1210 has it's own personality but to me leans more to the Ag-GS112 sound (being somewhat darker) than the Bergantino sound being clearer to my ears. But the 1210 was still clear and powerful, Nice cab. I have to give my ears a rest and continue playing around and also get the 1210 out live at least once before deciding to keep it or try a different Schroeder.

More to come.
  14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Thanks for a fine informative review! I also have the Berg ministack so I'm following these Schroeder threads carefully. :bassist:
  15. That is exactly what I needed to know! I was going to pull the trigger on a 1210 TOMORROW!! BUT I think I will wait until you gig yours and see what you have to say...I have the same rig except I have a Demi HBP-1with the CA-9 through the mini Stack...I'd still like to go with a single cab and a Thunderfunk and I might do it anyway but I'd like to see what your live experience is first...keep us posted!

MANY Thanks, Peace,

16. Tommix, fyi-I will be using the 1210 with the WWU not the Dem/Ca9 rig at my live test on Saturday night. I never used a Thunderfunk but I bet it would sound great. If you're used to the Berg type clarity you may find the 1210 grunt not clean enough for you like I'm experiencing so far. As I said though it's an impressive little cab. I just wish I would have gotten it in time for my last outdoor event this season. I really wanted to see if the "throw" was better than my Bergs.
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Big, I don't know for sure, but I would think that your test space is a bit small for the 1210.
    At your live gig with the 1210 I suggest you start with everything flat. Make sure the 1210 is on the floor (I would not use your Gamma unless you have a really shakey stage -- you might try it on one set anyway just to be sure).
    I STILL haven't heard a Bms so I can't make any comments there.
    As far as the Ag GS112, I would characterize the 1210 as more thick-sounding rather than dark, with a lot better midrange and treble than the GS112, louder, better projection, and power handling.

I find the 1210 a little thicker sounding on the bottom than my preferences, but I think the right EQ might bring it around.

I have no vested interest in you liking one over the other, just hope you give them a reasonable chance (which I know you will).

If you didn't mind hauling a relatively small 78 lb cab (like a small 3x10), sounds like the 410 would fit your needs to a 'T'. But I don't think that is what you were looking for here. You're looking for something eazier than the Bms to haul/setup.

Thanks for the review -- I'd love to hear the DC rig with my 410 -- bet it would be deathly SICK.
  18. Hi LoFreq
    Thanks for the tip. I tried the Gramma under the 1210 at home and it seemed to do better without it. You are right, my test area is horrible for true results of what gear can do. It' the only place I can get a feel to get a place to start from.

The 1210 is more refined than the GS112. I did not care for the Aggie cabs and thicker is probably more accurate, but it's that lower midrange grunt (that is very popular) that gets to me right away. I like it to an extent and fully realize that some is my instrument and eq. The 1210 was the first cab I've had to cut the midrange with since I've had my WWU, but that is what it's there for. I'm sort of leary of all 10's cabs because I've always loved 15's and 12's. Although my NV610 falls in that category it's a sealed not ported cab and met my needs. As I've stated before, 10's don't seem to throw as far as cabs with 12", 15" drivers, or with combos of such. I noticed this on my last big outside as I got around 15ft. from my NV the very evedent punch and loudness deminished a lot, but I could still hear it. One claim of the Schroeders is that you can hear them pretty far away but I don't know if this is true outside or not. If so I would like to know what the magic is. Also as I stated before, another claim that got my interest was no matter were you stand you can hear the Schroeders and there is no difference in tone etc. So far I have not found this to be any different than any other cabs I've owned, but have yet to play live, so ..... that's the real test that counts to me. My short testing period is just not enough time to judge this new cab, but it's a dandy I will admit. I may eventually try the 410 or the 21012.

Test disclaimer to TB's:
    I'll do the best I can to keep everyone informed, but please remember that you must try it yourself. I'm still learning the rest of my gear and usually only play out once or twice a month so there is a lot of time in between and so many factors involved that it's probably never going to be a true fair testing to anyone but me. ;)
  19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    My first gig with the 410 was outdoors and I had it sitting on a metal milk crate. My drummer was walking around like 100 ft from where we were setup and said it was coming across very powerfully out there. I think it would have projected even better sitting on the stage.