Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Oct 24, 2004.

1. There seems to be quite a few users ( me now included ) and fans of this wonderful new range of bass cabs, alot of new people will start to wonder what they are missing.
    How about a list of simple previous cabs now Schroeder and likes dislikes in easy reading for people to quickly see where we are heading.

Previous cabs ( still got them )
    Ampeg SVT15E
    Ampeg SVT410HE
    AMPS: Ampeg SVTCL and Ashdown ABM300 EVO 11

Schroeder cabs:

Ampeg likes:
    Brand name, huge rig, visually pleasing, full deep and loud

Ampeg dislikes: Price, weight, Boomy and less defined, difficult in cutting through sometimes.

Schroeder 1210: likes
    SIze and weight very compact, very smooth and punchy tone
    Excellent Horn very sweet sounding, loud.

Schroeder 1210 dislikes:
    Size ( only a visual thing ) Amp is very low down, looks too small to cope with the job in hand ( it does it plus more !! )
    This size issue is more of how the band looks on stage and should be not important to how we sound, but of course as well as sound image is also important.

Thats my summary how about yours in short quick terms.
    my thoughts are now when do i sell my Ampeg cabs ??
    Several months ago i posted a message on the Ampeg forum asking if anybody had heard of or tried Schroeder cabs, they did not consider them worthy and would not believe they were so good, oh dear Ampeg time to wake up i think !!
    New technology and better designs will leave you in the dark.
  2. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    So you are tellng us that a single 1210 can take the place of an Ampeg 15/410 stack?

If so and you are worried about stage image, you could always put the Pegs up on stage and have the 1210 craftily placed on stage and just run through it. It will be our secret. OR, you could carve out the inside of the Peg 115, stick the 1210 inside and no one would be the wiser.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How does the Schoeder compare to the 410HE tonally?
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There are very few clubs where you legitimately need the sound levels generated by a 410/15 stack of anything. It's probably not a question of whether a Schroeder can keep up or not, but whether the 410/15 was appropriate in the first place.

If the visual is a problem, you could always be like the '80s fakers and build a fake 8x10 with no drivers out of some light wood, then put the Schroeder underneath it. Or be like Geddy and bring a washing machine. :)
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Previous cabs:
    two large, old JBL studio monitor cabs (~5.5 cu.ft. ea.) w/a JBL D140-F driver in each;
    Bergantino HT322.

Schroeder cabs:

JBL likes:
    Full, deep (only used with EADG four string), and loud/efficient.

JBL dislikes: Weight/size.

Berg HT322 likes:
    Smooth, musical, punchy, & can get loud.

Berg HT322 dislikes:
    By comparison with the Scho 410 the very lowest notes lose some definition when driven hard.

Schroeder 410: likes
    Very compact for a 410 & well built; powerful, tight, deep, balanced, & punchy tone -- just sounds "right" to me; efficiency and sound projection qualities -- can get very freaking loud.

Schroeder 410 dislikes:
    I can't think of anything (well, it gives me GAS for more Schroeder cabs).
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hmmm.... I've held off talking Schroeders for a little while as I'm waiting on my second (You're right John, they make you want more of them ;) ) and I wanted to re-review with the 1210 WITH the new 1212 that should ship this week.

Anyway, over the past 25 years I've used cabinets from Ampeg, Kustom, Yamaha, Yorkville, Boogie, Bag End, SWR, Hartke, Roland, Musicman, Fender, Peavey, Ashdown, Carvin and others... I'd upgraded drivers to the good stuff from Electrovoice, JBL and Gauss.

1.) Kustom 4x12 with EV drivers + Yamaha 1x18 PA sub...
    amazing volume and sound pressure. Buried Les Paul/Marshall dudes cold... could bounce things across the stage.... but very hard to move (heavy and big) and it sounded best at about 40 paces, it was felt but not heard on stage.

2.) Bag End S12 and S15...
    spent most of the 90s on that rig... light, portable, punchiest cabs I've ever heard. Cut through anything...
    but weak lowend (if I kept it thin, the B was OK)... it made me love mids as that's what it delivered. It struggled with out door stuff because of it's rear port and need to be within a couple feet of a solid back wall.

I've been using combos (Ashdown) for the last couple years as I didn't need anything large. I'm in a band that is (hopefully) going to be working some bigger places and I've been shopping for a real good rig. I was pretty much sold on the NV215 until Brian B made me check out the stuff Jorg was prototyping.

'nuff said, end of story!!!

I own a 1210 for about 5 months and it is the best cabinet for me. Thick and deep, round and aggressive... dark but with the most musical top end and a low mid "burp" that just makes my gut tremble (not Eden colored... much truer to the tone of the bass and head). I prefer a old school sound and my dream rig is about to be complete... 400 watts of tubes into a 1212 and a 1210 (with a killer Yamaha pre and Crown power amp as a spare if'n I don't want to move the 120lbs tube head :smug: )

:bassist: no other cabinets even cross my mind, I've no need to look any further
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That depends on where you're playing and what you're playing.

Guys around here use 810s at a lot of the local clubs and its just about right most of the time.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA saw what the guy typed.....there are only a few clubs anywhere that require that much sound. Obviously he made this statement based on accurate knowledge gained from personal experience. People don't make those kinds of statements out of the blue. :D

9. I agree most of the time at gigs we seldom need the huge stack of speakers or the massive wattage ratings of amps, yet we all do it, well most of us have in the past.

But you normally dont have a selection of gear to bring to suit the size of venue, i.e small gig , bring 100w amp and 1 x cab , larger gig bring 200w amp and two cabs.etc etc

We buy what seems right for most of our needs and sometimes we will be over equiped and some under depending on venue.

Any other Schroeder users ??
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check the huge Schroeder thread. ;)
  11. I did check the huge thread how do you think i ended up getting the Schroeder, the point of this topic is a users of Schroeder summary of before and after !!
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me, too, soon... I hope... ;)
    Ok, so far I've only talked with Jörg and now that I sold my old rig and got some money, I ordered a 1210 and sent the money; building the cab and shipping and customs delays are still ahead. I hope I'll get it before Christmas...
  13. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Apologies in advance for the mini thread hijacking, but apparently I struck a nerve with MJ5150 and it's probably worth a clarification to get things back on track.

What I typed was that most clubs don't need that kind of volume. That sort of implies, in a roundabout way, something I didn't mean. I suppose I should have typed what I meant, which was that most club gigs don't require that kind of volume on stage. My mistake.

I confess, I haven't played every genre ever concieved at every club in the world. But I don't need that kind of experience to have what I consider a workable opinion on the topic.

What I have done is played with drummers. I have also played with bassists as a drummer. Drummers have three volumes: "smooth jazz", "loud", and "four-letter-word loud". Of those three levels, which do you think is able to match the volume of an adequately powered 410/115 bass rig running as loud as it can without clipping?

Well before you get that 410/115 to the volume level where the drums can't compete anymore, your soundperson is probably going to involve drum mics and a PA. It is also likely that you will hear requests from both the soundperson and other band members to turn down a bit. While it's fun to talk about how the bass player is the most important member of the band and should be loudest blah blah, the reality is that the volume balance is an important factor of your band's live show. This holds true both for FOH volume and stage volume.

So I guess the two club scenarios I can think of where you'd legitimately need that kind of gear are the huge club with the horrible PA and the huge club with no PA. Maybe there are a lot of those up in your neck of the woods, but in the places I've played (mostly the midwest) I haven't seen them much.

To keep the post-buy Schroeder thread on topic, I'd like to request that this discussion be moved to PM or a new thread if it's really important to anyone.
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think a better way to say it is that there is no need for something like that in most the situations you play in.

In a lot of clubs they mic the drums but not the bass, or if they do, there is very little, to no bass in the monitors.