Schroetter Help

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gendall, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Gendall

Nov 4, 2004
    :confused: I recently acquired an Andrew Schroetter Bass, made in Mittenwalt in March 1984. This isn't a Chinese import...I guess they came later. By my untrained eye it has a carved top and I think might be a carved bass since the back doesn't appear to be ply. The label is in good condition with model and serial number. Does anyone have any resources to research more info about this instrument. Despite it's hard histiory as a Las Vegas "Lounge Lizard" it has an amazing sound and a great setup. Any help is appreciated. :help:
  2. I'm bumping this to the top as I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 laminated model with what appears to be an ebonized maple fingerboard, used, for $1,000. It also has a great set-up (the neck profile feels like it was custom made for me), is in excellent condition and sounds good in a Kay kind of way, with no rattles. It comes with an adjustable bridge and a good gigbag but no bow (I'm a neophyte blues thumper with a 1/4 Kay M-3 so that's irrelevant at this time). The label on the bass indicates it is German (Mittenwald, Bayerisch - which is Bavaria). Does this sound like a reasonable deal? I will be thinning the electric herd by 1 or 2 and also shedding the baby Kay to finance this and I don't want to get burned.
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    On the Schrotter, post some pics if you want ID on it.. Good focused shots of the edges too. It is most likely a shop/factory Bass from Germany or Eastern Europe.

Ebonized FB?... Stay away.. A new Ebony FB installed by a pro costs more than the Bass...
  4. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    There's a bass at my school made by "Anton Schroetter" in the late 70s. Could it be the same people?

Anyway, this bass is decent, but it's all plywood. Post a pic of yours, maybe it has a similar appearance....
  5. Mendry37

Oct 19, 2004
    Albany, New York
    I have a Ply Schroetter Copy. On the label it says it was made in Mittenwald/Bayern with no date. On the back there is a #4 on the neck block/heel. Does anyone know what that stands for? I have had this bass for 2 years now and it has been fine for college but I’m just waiting for some money so I can upgrade. Thanks
  6. ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    I recently borrowed an Anton Schroetter. It did have a label indicating it was made in the 70's (1974? can't remember) and in Mittenwald. I believe it was actually a hybrid. Carved spruce top with ply ribs and back. The bass had a light brown/orange varnish, violin corners and a round back. The sound was half decent too for what you're getting. I know that's not much of a description but I didn't get a chance to take pictures of it.