Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schumann pedals (PLL, Two Face Fuzz, Lion)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Jan 6, 2006.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I can't believe no one has mentioned these pedals on this forum! I'd say they are a step beyond Moogerfoogers and Zvex pedals.

http://schumannelectronics.com

Apparently, the PLL tracks perfectly. I've heard that Schumann made a pitch to CV converter with virtually zero latency. This guy is amazing but unfortunately on hiatus, and Main Drag in Brooklyn only has the Lion X in stock.

Has anyone ever used one of these pedals? Apparently they are used by Radiohead, Sparklehorse, and a few other popular bands.

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    :bump:

Thought for sure this would cause a buzz. Anyone?

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I'll have to track him down, I'm not far from there...

thanks,
    ~S~

4. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
  5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...haven't tried yet, will try this week...

~S~

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
  7. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    the PLL looks incredible, i want to hear one

8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    :bump:

Sorry to keep reviving this one but I think a lot of people here would be interested.

9. i'd be more interested in the PLL if it wasn't half a grand...i could buy a bass for that!

mark the PLL on my list with the Lovetone Meatball for pedals that are absurdly expensive...

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I really have to make it a point & set an afternoon aside to shoot out there & check 'em out(just so damn busy lately), I'll give them a call this week...

~S~

11. endlessbassic

endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004
    I've hunted high and low for a clip of the Schumann PLL, but gave up.. I'm of the mind that $500 isn't too much to spend for something that could potentially (on paper, at least) be a very interesting device and if someone finally found a way to 'perfect' a p-to-v convertor circuit, i'm 100% interested.. Yes, you could get 2 Mooger's for that price, but would they sound as interesting? Guess it all depends on what sounds you're into/after..

For what it's worth, Doepfer makes a module that seemingly does something similar (to the PLL) for a lot less $$: http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a196/

12. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i am surprised that ive never heard of them!

13. dwylie75

dwylie75

Aug 23, 2006
    has anyone found out what s up with John Schumann. Has he stopped making these pedals? I really want to get one. Emailed him but no response. The guys at main drag dont seem willing to give a straight yes or no answer. anyone?

d

14. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    From the Schumann Wikipedia page:

" Hi, I am John Schumann, I designed and made every PLL myself. It is true that I'm out of Main Drag. But that doesn't mean I've quit making PLLs. A whole bunch of lousy things happened to me this year. But I will start to produce Plls and other new stuff soon. contact me at TRALGO@hotmail.com Thanks"

I think the reason nobody's responding is that nobody here has tried one or even heard a sample. There's a lot of mystery surrounding it. I suspect the PLL is part-awesome, part-hugely-over-hyped. But it looks very cool.

15. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've been in touch with John Schumman several times over email. A few times I even thought I had a shot at receiving a PLL or a Two Face Fuzz, but then he goes AWOL.

The Two Face Fuzz sounds really interesting by the way. It's assymetric distortion.

16. dehory

dehory

Oct 13, 2005
    New York, NY
    There's a Schumann Lion on eBay right now. The description linked to this pretty interesting but slightly outdated article on Schumann.

And yeah, the Two Face Fuzz looks incredible.

17. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'd buy the PLL just for the look of it! If I had the money that is... It's probably the sexiest pedal I've ever seen, especially with the drone-accessory. It looks really '50s, and anyone who's played the Fallout games series should see the resemblence.