1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Sci-Fi movies and T.V. not based on Star Trek or Star Wars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BboogieXVII, Sep 3, 2016.

1. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Ok, so the 50th anniversary of Star Trek is here, but I don't really see many people getting excited about it except some vendors wishing to sell a few magazines or dolls or whatever those sort of people like to sell.

My question is, what are the good Movies and T.V. series that are not related to Star Trek or Star Wars? Or perhaps are there any good books that you would like to see made into a movie or series. Although I do like some star trek and the first few Star Wars movies, I am not totally gobsmacked by them. In general I think Sci-Fi is a bit under rated and under developed I would like to see more quality Sci fi!

OK, here's a few of my top picks for Sci-Fi that is not Star Trek or Star Wars Related.

"Firefly" Was a 1 season T.V. Sci-Fi adventure that took place some 500 years in the future. It was a space fantasy really. It truly was awkward for the first few episodes adjusting to the Wild West meets the futuristic Alliance. Yes, the science and astronomy are truly truly lacking and the graphics aren't that great but once my suspension of disbelief kicked in it was fantastic. I wish it could have ran for another season or two. It's on Netflix now.

I remember watching Battlestar Gallactica way back in the 70's and thought it was good fun then, but probably wouldn't want to watch it again.

Tron was pretty good, would watch it again.

OK, there's many others but don't want to Bogart them.

powmetalbassist likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Farscape
    Red Dwarf
    Stargate
    Stargate Atlantis
    Doctor Who
    X-Files

3. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    I sort of remember Stargate back in the day. I thought it was OK but couldn't watch it because of my schedule. The X files never appealed to me, just too much plot reliance on; on well nothing. Sort of like a bad Edgar Allan Poe short story.

I should try to to see Farscape and Red Dwarf . Dr Who is still up in the air for me, I only saw a couple episodes.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I watched the old school Battlestar Galactica as a kid. I watch it now on Hulu and still dig it.
    The Abyss.
    Prometheus.

-Mike

BboogieXVII likes this.
  5. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    BboogieXVII likes this.
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Planet of the Apes (1968) and Logan's Run were better than Star Trek and Wars in my opinion. More recently, I've been enjoying Orphan Black on BBC America.

BurnOut and BboogieXVII like this.
  7. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Pitch Black for hard sci-fi
    Original Solaris, not the George Clooney remake
    2001 and yes 2010
    Alien series of films, especially Aliens
    which is based on Them!
    Forbidden Planet the precursor to Star Trek
    1950's War Of The Worlds with Gene Barry
    Village Of The Damned

Bob Lee (QSC), BboogieXVII and MJ5150 like this.
  8. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

V was interesting.
    Mork and Mindy rocked :)
    Starman the series was ... odd.
    Quantum Leap is an all time great show.

BboogieXVII and MJ5150 like this.
  9. Robert B

Robert B Somewhere under the rainbow Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Rittman, OH, USA
    Firefly was good, though brief.

ArtGuy9516, BboogieXVII and bholder like this.
  10. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    BboogieXVII and CatSquare like this.
  11. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    The TV series "Stranger Things" is actually really good.
    I've kind of given up on scifi films after the many disappointing/formulaic movies and tv series of the last few years.
    And especially the mess SyFy network (i know,low bar) made of "Childhood's End".

BboogieXVII and CatSquare like this.
  12. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Earth 2
    Babylon 5
    Lost
    Shannara Chronicles
    Logan's Run

I'd love to see Peter Jackson do Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy. Also like to see his Elantris made into a movie.

BboogieXVII likes this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Firefly was one of the best tv shows ever, sci fi or otherwise. It's cancelation was a travesty.

Babylon 5 was also fantastic.

14. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    image.jpeg

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I really enjoyed StarGate Atlantis (SGA)
    later in the series they pulled in Jewel, who I think is absolutely adorable

jewel-staite-stargate-atlantis-tv-series-season-4-promo-hq-03-0750.jpg
    you'll probably remember her as the unlikely ship's mechanic on Firefly

I much preferred the non-conspiracy theory episodes. It started off really good, got to be more about the conspiracy theory as time went on

I still dig the old BSG, but never could get into the new one, although Tricia Helfer is a stone cold fox, and Bones' GF that plays Starbuck is alright as well.
    The guy who plays Bones on the new ST movies is dating her. I can't recall either of their names at the moment, LOL (Karl & Katee)?

The Abyss was EPIC!
    Prometheus literally frightened me at some points & I am usually jaded to horror films

Yes, some of my friends & i used to quote that movie, LOL
    yes, we were and are immature
    "Game over man!"

I'm going to watch that today. It reminds me of the original Body Snatchers, which is really good. The one with Donald Sutherland was good too IMHO

Iron Maiden did a song about the sequel to VotD, Children of the Damned

Original V was great, but the new one got cancelled too soon. I think there was just too much talking & not enough action on the new series

[​IMG]
    Morena Baccarin was sure easy on the eyes

I watched some M&M after Robin passed & it is still funny after all these years. That man had a gift
    Pam Dawber married Mark Harmon, who is now on NCIS

Coincidentally, Scott Bakula (Quantum Leap) was in a ST series about the first Enterprise

Enterprise-Cast.jpg

I was consumed by this series for a while & was completely let down by the ending
    i'm still not really sure what the heck happened at the end

I should check that out. It keeps coming up as recommended on my Amazon Prime feed

Humans is a good series IMHO, but I've been wondering if it's going to get cancelled after its first season

gemma-chan-human-1.jpg
    yes, i'm in love with Gemma Chan

Oddly and BboogieXVII like this.
  16. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sliders.

-Asdfgh- and Killed_by_Death like this.
  17. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    A favorite show of mine when I was a kid, was Space 1999.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I loved sliders but it went off the rails right around the time his brother came on the show.

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Time Trax from the 90s. A cop from the future travels back in time to get the bad guys. I've never met anyone who's heard of this show. It was great.

powmetalbassist and MJ5150 like this.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Meet me. I remember it.

-Mike

Gorn likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021