1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sciatica (or sciatica-like pains)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Anyone on the forum have sciatica or suffer from pain like that associated with sciatica? Wondering you to manage the lower back pain and burning throughout my back, hips, lower legs, and ankles that I've been feeling. I've been stretching as much as I possibly could, but it seems it's not really helping. The pain is debilitating at times. I don't wish this on anyone.

:mad:

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Jak sie masz? I haven't seen you here in a while! :)

Sciatica sucks big time, I have it. In my case it comes and goes, usually as a result of any heavy lifting or if I bend weird etc. I get aching pain in teh lower back and a tingling numbness from my butt cheek down to my ankles.
    If I go on doses of Ibuprofens for about a week or so it seems to knock it down to a tolerable level.
    But.... I'm a blockhead and really need to get back to a doc. You should do teh same if you haven't done so already. I've heard that an epidural of cortisone (I think??) does absolute wonders.

3. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    I don't know if this is hereditary, but my son is the third generation with this problem. Also, I've never heard of this problem with females.
    Time and rest are the only cure I know of.

4. blastoff99

blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Bad stuff, sciatica. Mr blastoff had an attack yesterday while walking, fell, and broke a rib and a finger.

So: no personal experience, but I've certainly seen the effects.

5. My sacrailiac joint kept freezing up and giving some similar symptoms. I have a bunch of soft tissue issues with my lower back, worst of which stemming from a rugby injury, but the predisposition seems to have been there due to my dodgy ankles (and everything above that being slightly out of alignment as a result). The main soft tissue culprit seems to be my piriformis which will occasionally seize up and cause shooting pains or numbness & loss of strength.

Generally, sciatic issues arise from flexibility or strength imbalances.

Proper stretching could require calfs, quads, hamstrings, glutes, groin (basically anything impacting the hips).

Yoga and Pilates is meant to be really good, building both flexibility and core stability.

Some cases can be physiological. The sciatic nerve passes over or through the piriformis muscle and there are four known physiological variants, some of which are, at least, more prone to sciatic issues.

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    My wife gets sciatica, quite badly at times.

For me, I find that my back problems get better when (a) I'm at a healthy weight, and (b) I keep up my Tai Chi classes. YMMV, of course.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have a really good chriroprator andusehime regularly. I keep my hams and quads stretched. I try to keep my weight under control. If I let any of those slip, i'm in for it. Dealing with a bit of it at the moment. Been off the bike a month and haven't worked into my winter exercise regimine yet. Too much work at work...

8. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Sometimes severe sciatica pain can come from weak, deconditioned or even locked up hamstrings. If your hamstrings have issues, it will send weight distribution to your lower back/glute and manifest itself as sciatic pain.

9. I've had sciatica for years. I have it mainly in my left leg but some in my right leg as well. Right now I'm taking a low dose of Neurontin which is really helped with the nerve pain. I've tried exercises which helped some especially stretching the back of your leg. Mine has been caused by some ruptured discs in my back. Too many years of lifting heavy amps.

10. I have it. In my case, it is caused by a bulging L5-L6 disc. Not fun at all.

11. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    It's been ruining my life for about two years. Miserable. I've been hearing about a new laser surgery treatment that I intend to look into when life gets back to normal (furloughed federal employee :mad:)

12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    You might look at the possibility of Piriformis syndrome, which can have similar symptoms. I had a recent bout that lasted some time, and stretching seemed to aggravate rather than bring relief. This was contrary to how I got relief from sciatic/ lower back issues in the past. The pain originates in the area of the loop of bone on the lower pelvis and it's muscles and is not disk originated like most sciatica. The sciatic nerve is involved, just in a different "pinch" so to speak.Anti inflammatories and a thick gel pad on my computer chair made the difference for me.
    Quite literally, a pain in the butt.

13. Sciatica is a set of symptoms, not a definitive condition. It's essentially my piriformis that is manifesting most of my issues. Though thankfully it hasn't flared in a while.

Had it bad for about 18 months, I don't know what was worse, the pain and loss of strength, or the lingering discomfort that meant a decent night's sleep was off the cards. Struggling to get dressed, particularly socks and shoes, wasn't fun!

14. I have sciatic pain due to herniated L4-L5 disk. It sucks big time and never stops. I really only have days of "less pain" and "more pain".

The one interesting thing, I have a built in thermometer now. If I get a fever, my back will hurt in the area of the herniation. I can't describe it, but it feels different than the standard ache. And I can pretty accurately guess the fever's temp by the amount of pain.

Weird. Like the old stereotype, "Storms coming, I can feel my knee acting up.."

15. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Our bodies really are an interconnected whole. When I recently broke my ankle, after I had been in the treatment room for some time, the nurse took my blood pressure and temperature, and both were slightly elevated. She made some observation about my reacting to the shock/trauma of the accident. I think she was puzzled I hadn't appeared more "shook up '.

16. 24-7 since 11-24-10! I fell off a cliff. Went to a chiropractor for a year no relief. I now use a inversion table for 15 minutes every 4 days helps me a lot. You have to learn to relax hanging upside down because it takes a really good stretch to adjust your spine and the supporting muscles are included in the strongest in your body and it takes time and relaxation for your spine to adjust. But done right and with time you can fine relief. my pain is burning at the ankle and shooting pain in the hip and running down the back of my left leg. I have a desk job and have to get up every once in a while to walk off the pain that builds as I sit. Not all sciatica pain stays around it depends I know people who had it for weeks and woke up and it was gone I am looking at 3 years so I can only hope it does someday. I will say in the years before the table roughly two years at times the pain was so much I could have offed myself even crossed my mind a few times. It is a pain that gets in your head and removes you from your normal life I am damn glad I found inversion it may have saved my family some grief. RTS........ Oh and when I was on stage I was pain free adrenaline thing I think I could jump around like I was 16 during a show but my kid had to help me out of the car when I got home because I couldn't get out by myself!

I am using a Teeter Hang Ups EP-950 Inversion Table very well made bit costly but when you are hanging by your ankles you want to be safe.

17. Ever try another diagnosis? Finding the root of the problem isn't easy and it can be multiple things.

Not a fan of chiropractic therapy here, can very easily make things worse.

18. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Wow. Incredible amount of info and stories here. THANK YOU!

I originally went to my ortho with a back pains, a hip issue, and a really sudden and painful limp. Got an MRI and it turned out that I have a right hip impingement. Prescribed 4 weeks of PT and I was off. I have been going to PT and it has been going well.

I'm pretty fit and active and wanted to get back to running and working out so the PT cleared me when she thought I was ready. I got back into it and all of a sudden my lower back pains are right back to where they were. Also shooting pains down my legs and into my knees, as far down as my ankles. Feels like a burning and tingling. I also feel like my hi[ pain is coming back.

I talked to my PT and she thinks that there may be a deeper issue within my lower back which forced my pelvis into a spasm and therefore caused me overcompensate with my hip, ultimately causing the initial hip pain.

Anyway - I scheduled an emergency appointment with my ortho today and am going to go see him for another look and ask about the possibility of a shot to dull the pain for a while. I try not to take pills, so I'd like to avoid them if I could.

19. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Have sporadic problem every year or two in lower back. And every time they tell me "your disc spaces look great, no real degeneration in your spine. But your muscles are spasm-ed up something awful". NO CH-it SHerlock, that's why I was brought in on a back board! Just shoot me up so my back will relax. And all I wanted to do was play with the new puppy...but after 3 hours of staring at the ceiling I had to give up hopes of leaving the floor. As I warned the paramedics, " I'm gonna scream like a girl when you move me." I did.

Strengthening exercises, stretching and no sudden or twisting motions. My prayers are with you, the pain can be incredible.

Edit: I don't deeply believe in chiropractic treatment as I don't think you can effectively push bones into position permanently. However, I will go see one for some adjustment to get the pressure off a nerve if I feel that tensing in my back, as avoiding a full blown spasm attack is the #1 goal (for me). I have to load 12 motorcycles into a shipping container this weekend - already got my chiro appt. set for Monday following.

20. I tend to agree, sciatica is generally brought on from muscular imbalance (strength or inflexibility), muscular weakness or loose ligaments. Either due to genetics, long coming issues (bad posture, overweight, poor flex.) or acute injury. Basically, your soft tissues aren't maintaining the correct positioning of your skeletal structure or are out-pulling each other, resulting in damage and spasm. A chiropractor isn't going to fix the problem longterm, though it can give a quick relief.