1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Science and Technology thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by D M C, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I know there have been threads on OT that discuss ideas and pose questions about science and technology, but I cannot remember the threads' titles, so I am starting this here thread for discussions to continue with the appropriate thread title so as people can search for it easier, so there.

Anyway, I just read about the French developing an urban wind tree, that is a bunch of micro wind turbines that can be placed in cities to power stuff like street lights: Tree Shaped Wind Turbines to be Installed in Paris and that got me to thinking...

I have always wondered why one couldn't harness the wind power from freeways or other limited access roads. If you've ever stood by the side of one and felt the rush of wind from a semi, it doesn't seem so far fetched to imagine that there would be enough wind to generate a substantial amount of electricity. I wonder if it has been tried before.

Thoughts?

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I stopped using science after a girl I was interested in blinded me with it.

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    DiabolusInMusic and MJ5150 like this.
  4. That was not science, it was pepper spray.

Tbone76, S-Bigbottom, GregC and 8 others like this.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Love letters....restraining orders.....who can tell the difference in today's crazy workaday world?

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Well, now we know how long science will list with this bunch of clowns. :D

Lobster11 likes this.
  7. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Why does it not show up in a search of titles for "science" or "technology." Science and technology needed to get to the bottom of this.

shadowtippy likes this.
  8. Apparently, we do not have the technology.

9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    IMHO, the TB search bar (at least on my mobile) could use some improvements.

DiabolusInMusic and MJ5150 like this.
  10. Or Nascar race tracks or any speedway for that matter. I have seen along side highways but, not sure if they are using them the way you have suggested.

11. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    FWIW, I asked an admin to close this thread and point it to the original thread. Maybe it'll happen.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well you could've just asked me. Guess I wasn't cool enough for you. You science guys....always so popular and exclusionary :bawl:
    Go to the full Science!!! thread here:
    Science and technology - the Q & A thread

BTW, I've had this xkcd shirt for years- it's one of my favorites
    shark_shirt_1_1024x1024.

catcauphonic likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.