Science Fair Ideas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by UnsungZeros, Aug 29, 2004.

1. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I'm having some trouble coming up with some decent topics for my my physics project. What do you guys suggest or what have you done in the past?

If you can't phrase the idea as "The effect of [independent variable] on [dependent variable]" then I don't want to hear it. I don't want this project to be a lame run of the mill type of thing. I'm sure you guys have some interesting ideas, so let's hear them!
  2. Is this a do it at home project or do you have any equipment?

3. I'm guessing a paper-mache volcano's not gunna cut it. :meh:

4. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    Maybe something to do with the physics of sound. I guess it would be difficult to do and to get a good idea thats actually orignal though.For Example The precion of experienced muscians timing. (i'm not rewording that) OK maybe a little to simple for real physics but what do u expect i'm only in highschool and even if i had a good idea its not free.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The effect of different varieties of asparagus on the odour of urine.

The effect of jazz music on the co-efficient of friction of various metals.

The effect of heavy metal on the temperature of water.
  6. The effect of boredom on a Sydney lawyer? :D

7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nuclear shoestrings.

brad cook
  8. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Make a volcano!

Okay, sorry.
  9. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    drag coeffeicients of various rocket propelled turtles.
  10. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    How about "The effect of Rap Music on IQ" ? Never mind, too easy... ;)
  11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Make a solar system out of styrofoam balls and coat hangers. Naww, do the volcano!
  12. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Did you ever learn about sound in your physics class? maybe you can do something about harmonics, and incorperate bass into it, and you can bring in you bass and give them an example. :)
  13. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    The effect of mass physical trauma by a speeding piece of metal on the cranium of unsuspecting judges.
  14. How long do anacids (sp?) work?

Use apple juice (itys like the chemicals in your stomach) and drop anacids into them...

see which one dissolves last.

someone did that a few years back, got a really good grade..
  15. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    the effect of potatoes (via potato gun with varying types of potatoes/propellants/potato gun design) on plywood at short ranges.

i did something similar. It involved me shooting my potato gun in my biology classroom, and getting potato EVERYWHERE. very fun times!

16. Also, what grade are you in? This would help a bit. One I might recommend is what is called a Cartesian Diver. It demonstrates the incompressibility of a liquid versus the compressibility of a gas.

Simply, you put a small floating object into a sealed plastic container that can be squeezed (ie plastic isn't totally solid, a pop bottle works well). Then you place a small "diver" inside which is some object which has an open air chamber in it (pen lid is what I've seen used, with rubber bands near the hole where the pen would go in to weigh it down). You adjust the amount of plasticine on the pen lid until it just floats at the surface in the bottle. When you seal the bottle and squeeze on it, the water cannot compress. The air inside the pen lid can compress and water moves up inside the pen lid. The pen lid floats.

What is happening is that the pen lid is initially floating because gravity and the buoyant force of the water that is being displaced are equal. When the volume of air inside the pen lid is reduced, the pen lid is displacing less water, the buoyant force is reduced and the pen lid sinks. It is important that the pen lid initially floats with very little of it sticking out of the water or it will be difficult to squeeze it hard enough to make it sink.

That's one idea. You could throw some equations up on a poster with an explanation of buoyancy versus gravity and how things float as well as the ideas that gases are incompressible where are gases are compressible. Could be a good experiment depending on exactly what level of science knowledge you are supposed to demonstrate. It certainly better than all those plant experiments that I've seen at science fairs.

17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any pets? I did the effect of different notes on a guitar on a parakeet. heh.
  18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    not the coolest but...

"the effect of various compounds on freezing point depression."

*shrug* i did it twice.

"the effect of various compounds on the activation energy of particular reaction."

on a chemistry kick today. :ninja:
  19. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

To clear things up I'm in the 11th grade, so some of these basic ideas won't fly. The project is for a PHYSICS class, so other subjects (e.g. biology) won't work, except perhaps chemistry ideas because I can easily link that to physics.

Thanks everybody for your help and keep on posting ideas.
  20. Again, is this a do it at home project, or do you have access to lab equipment, and if so, what?