Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Science of Selling Yourself Short

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HunsBassist, Aug 6, 2005.

1. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Hey, I was curious,

In the Less Than Jake video Science of Selling Yourself Short, is Roger playing fingerstyle??? I think he is. I think it's really cool that there are bassists that are talented enough and open minded enough to get over petty technique conflicts and play both Fingerstyle and Picking.

This is an awesome song, an awesome band and an awesome bassist. Hooray for Ska! Hooray for LTJ!

2. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Hooray for Roger! Hooray for Dreadlocks! Hooray for Stingrays! :bassist:

LTJ are probably one of my favourite bands ever! I can't help you on the video, but it sounds kinda like fingerstyle.

3. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I watched it again. He is playing fingerstyle. And a really nice bass. It's a Fender Jazz, can't tell the model but it looks pricy. So what other ska bands do you like Techmonkey?

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Wow! I didn't know he used jazz basses! Awesome. I've only seen pics, no videos, but he's usually using a Stingray.

As for ska, I love all kinds of ska :smug: It's hard to name favourites, but I'd say probably:
    Madness
    Less Than Jake
    Reel Big Fish
    UB-40
    Fab Rudies
    Mad Caddies
    Sublime

How about you??

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Oh, I almost forgot No Doubt!

6. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Awesome, I just wish ska could be a little more recognized. I feel like I missed out on a bunch since I was like 5 when 3rd wave ska was popular. It just sucks how the country can just drift from trend to trend, leaving the old ones to fester. It sucks. But at least it's not completely dead, there are still some good ska bands for the REST of us to enjoy.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Jazz and fingerstyle are for the video shoot. Not saying he doesn't play either, because he's mentioned owning Jazz basses before, and there's footage of him playing fingerstyle on the "History" DVD, but live he always uses EBMM Sterlings (the green one w/ clear guard is his #1 bass) and plays with a pick.

8. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Have you seen him playing this particular song live with a pick? Cause he might just switch for this song.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    On the bright side, you can find very good albums for hella cheap. I picked up Skinnerbox's "Demonstration" and "What you can do and what you can't" for $6 together.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Actually, yes. I sang this one and Gainesville Rock City on stage with Buddy and JR at Warped Tour '03 in Atlanta. Buddy's sister has been one of my lit professors for several classes, and through her and seeing LTJ on every tour from '96 to fall '04, I've gotten to spend a considerable amount of time with the band.