1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scientific "truths" that changed while you were in school?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Sep 12, 2008.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I am just curious since we have such a variety of members here on TalkBass what scientific "truths" changed by the time you were in kindergarten until the time you graduated high school or college.

I graduated in 1995 and started school in 1982. I will post some in a bit.

What scientific principles changed in the roughly 13-17 years you were in the school system from kindergarten to high school/college?

You first.:D

2. One word: Pluto.

:scowl:

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Pluto got shafted.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    +1

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My high school physics book said that they couldn't make blue LED's. Then they did soon after.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah, but that was just a question of classification.

7. What about the sheep cloning? I know so little about it that I'm not sure if it actually happened.

8. One thing to keep in mind here is that there really are no "scientific truths", just science's best grasp of the facts as they are able to discern them now. Science has no real interest in "truth", just in fact.

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I learned that brain cells don't regenerate, but later research puts this in question. Good. In science, nothing is unchangeable in the face of evidence.

10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    So why not do some research on good ol' Dolly? You have a good tool for learning things right at your fingertips!

11. Dolly!!! I thought that was the name. Will do then. :)

Edit: Here are the basics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)

12. +10000

Science is all about human progression of information. The biggest word there is human, which automatically means that perception is limited and that anything could be flawed because we are flawed beings.

13. I guess that could be why he quoted truths.

14. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I'm glad science admits its wrong sometimes. If Anyone tries to tell you they have all the answers, they're lying to you.

15. Just Pluto and the 4 basic food groups. What are we up to now?! :p

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1 to Gard about "truths." Still, it's interesting to note some of the dominoes that have fallen. In every age, there are things that people believe to be outside the reach of science. I remember:

1. Nobody will ever be able to see an atom. It is just a theory.

2. Nobody has ever observed evolution. It is just a theory.

3. We don't know what causes AIDS, but it only happens to "those" people, hint, hint.

4. Science cannot explain morality.

Now one for our present age:

5. Some things are too complicated to understand. Science will never be able to predict the climate. It is "arrogant" to try.

17. We only had three concrete states of matter when I was younger. Plasma was talked about in hushed tones like it had a horn growing out of its forehead.

Mike

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, it didn't happen while i was in school, not completely, but the development of the memristor is a pretty significant change in the status quo. bigger than the transistor, imo, since there was no preexisting component (i.e. the tube) that performed a similar function.

19. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Still, Hannes Alfvén won the 1970 Nobel Prize for his work in plasma physics. Plasma is the first state of matter, but does not fit easily into current theories about the nature of the universe.

20. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Haha yup. I remember in the God Delusion some guy said we'll never know what the stars are made out of. And a few years Joseph von Fraunhofer used a spectroscope on the sun.