1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scientists announce proof of gravitational waves - this is heavy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Feb 12, 2016.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

In Milestone, Scientists Detect Gravitational Waves As Black Holes Collide

This is really big news. Modern cosmology is significantly derived from general relativity and gravitational waves are an important prediction of that theory. Scientists have been searching for gravitational waves ever since they were predicted by Einstein in 1916 and if it turned out that they didn't exist, then our understanding of general relativity is flawed and anything derived from it is suspect. It's been 100 years but it seems the phenomenon has been definitively observed.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Surf's up! Catch the wave! :D

In breaking news, Einstein is still right! :roflmao::cool::woot:

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

So much for the flat-earth, we're only a few years old bunch. Another slap upside the head! :thumbsup:

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Given how little the gravity waves affect the physical properties of 'stuff'. I'm amazed they were able to construct a tool to actually measure the disturbance the waves cause.

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

tumblr_n3mri7xFfs1qb8c3uo1_500.

knumbskull, ChrisB2 and twinjet like this.
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well, I'm sure that's great news for scientists filling out grant applications. Out here in Work-for-a-living-World, though, I can't imagine that this earth-shattering news makes much of a difference. Unless, of course, a wave of extra gravity comes along as I'm trying to pick something up....;)

DwaynieAD, ChrisB2 and two fingers like this.
  7. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Does that change the speed of light?

8. So THAT's what's causing Global Warming!!

two fingers likes this.
  9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I read this yesterday. Pretty cool stuff for the science minded among us :)

10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No, the gravity and light waves were always in the theory. The only difference is more of the theory has been confirmed. It makes Einstein 'righter'.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    But we know that gravity affects light and Rupert Sheldrake proved that the speed of light changed in the 40s.

12. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The speed of light didn't change, the accuracy with which it was measured changed, I didn't find a reference to the '40s, I found one in 1972 that was a result of refinement of the definition of meter and second.

EDIT: Perhaps you are talking about the speed of light through different mediums?

13. Don't know about that but it did briefly change your weight. They were measuring the length of a very long tunnel very accurately with a laser and observed it shrinking and lengthening.

A pretty massive fluke that we were looking when the gravity waves from some billions of years ago happened on through.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  14. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    People surely said the same thing about relativity, which is used in GPS calculations. This is the bleeding edge of human understanding, you probably won't see its commercial or everyday use in your lifetime.

The nitty gritty of how combustion works probably isn't very important to you either, except every time you get in a car. Luckily lots of people who understand combustion more thoroughly than you have put in effort to make its benefits easily accessible to you.

15. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    What's the best gravity wave length for metal?

ChrisB2 and two fingers like this.
  16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Oh, I was wrong about it being Rupert Sheldrake. He's the one who gave the TEDTalk I saw and now I see a website discrediting what he said. I did find this wiki page (Variable speed of light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but it's too technical for me to understand. it does say "The speed of light in vacuum instead is considered a constant."

17. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The constant speed of light as referred to by lay people is the speed of light in a vacuum with a constant gravity. When gravity changes the light bends and changes speed (slows down.) There is still some debate about whether it in fact slows down or not; though there is general agreement that at the event horizon of a black hole that light in fact stops.

18. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    You know, I really think you need to work on your sense of humor... and it's "leading edge", Chief...:rollno:

ChrisB2 likes this.
  19. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I took "the 'bleeding' edge' to be synonymous to "the 'f***ing' edge."

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  20. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    Those idioms are interchangeable, bleeding just sounds more hardcore.