1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scion / Toyota ad: Problems with this..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Jul 18, 2007.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I like Scion's products, but those commercials are too weird for me.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Those commercials are too wierd. I drove a Scion Xb then I drove a Honda Element. I bought the Element because it drove, handled and looked a TON better. It also felt better constructed than the Scion.

3. I've been following this. It's different ad campaign for sure!! Killing sheeple, green blood, it's all very strange indeed!!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sweet, I also bought an Element. The ultimate gig-mobile!

5. Isn't the Element a lot more expensive than the Xb?? I'm just starting to look at new vehicles. I'm keeping my Jeep but, DAMN!! I need AC :(

6. Don't know the exact number, but yes, the E is more expensive. However, you DO get what you pay for!

Having driven and ridden in both, there is NO comparison. The E BURIES the Scion x(Element-wanna)B. Heck, you could practically put the xB INSIDE the E.

Best money I've ever spent on a vehicle is on my lovely Element. Never felt better, even after over 3 years behind the wheel. Great car.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Buy used. ;)

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the ad is horrible for several reasons, not the least of them their insistence of using the word "sheeple," the most irritating portmanteux ever.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I looked at the Element and it's nice but it's only a 4 seater and I have 3 kids. So, it wouldn't work for me.

10. I really like the new xB and it is by and far a vast improvement over the original, and I like enough to probably buy, but some parts of the car are just chincy. The marketing is non-existent for that model now, but yeah, the sheeple ad is ridiculous and overreaching in its efforts to set their econobox apart in the market...it's not THAT different, and tho I understand why they're doing it, I don't agree with the ultra-urban hip slant they project with this product line...what, only low-dollar hip hoppers can dig their whips?

I like my Jeep.

My next vehicle, for quality and longevity reasons will be a Forester or an Element tho. I need the vehicle to last past the novelty.

11. That's the reason my wife is driving a Pilot instead of an Element, we have to carry 3 kids and a wheelchair regularly. She loves my E, and wanted it at first for herself, but we realized it wouldn't do the trick if we needed to carry everyone at one time.

Now, when I have Ryan (wheelchair) by myself, the E is the best thing ever, I just set Ryan in the passenger seat, and his chair fits in the back (with the seats up) without even taking the headrest off! :cool: He's goin' to rehearsal with me tonight, it's just so easy to get around with him in it. It's so good for the task, as a matter of fact, his dad (I'm Ryan's stepdad) bought an Element for himself!

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Those ads are very strange. But they're appealing to the xB target market, and apparently we ain't in it!

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My wife has an xA. I considered the xB but ended up with a Toyota minivan instead (looked at the Element, I just needed more storage space). I drove Volvo wagons for a long time but the current ones are way too much money and smaller inside :(

I think the Scions have a lot going for them, they are well built and featured for the price. If you've done much new car shopping, you'll quickly appreciate no-haggle pricing ;)

The marketing for Scion is aimed at folks in their 20s and 30s but I see lots of geezers like me driving them. What's with that?

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Indeed Scion is marketing to the first-time buyer in the 18-24 demographic. When my wife was looking at the Xb, they showed her all the neato little add-ons you can buy for the Scion like the underdash lighting and neon shift knob. The salesman knew he lost her business when she said, "do I look like a teenager to you?"

The 4 passenger seating in the Element.is another con, but it is leaps and bounds above the Scion. We got hers loaded for just a tad over $18k.

15. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    i really like the xb's and am going to be doing some car shopping pretty soon. can somebody like me with no credit but a full time job even consider a new xb? my jimmy has seen better days and instead of throwing even more money into it, i think i'll just dump it. how high is insurence on a new xb? i'm 19 with a clean record.

16. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The xB felt like it had paper thin doors to me and just plain felt cheap compared to my Honda.

You have to remember Scion has always tried to market to a "younger" crowd. I liked the ads, but I also like Tool videos as well.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I wont argue with too much of that, other than there is a large price gap separating the two cars also. The scion is an econobox, as is most everything Honda sells as well (with some exceptions).

18. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just an interesting point, a client I worked for a couple months ago is an Engineer at the Marysville, OH. Honda plant. He commented on my xb, and said he felt they were well built. How does he know? He took part in dissecting one at the Honda plant.

19. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Fellow spector friend....with all due respect, what are you smoking? There is ALL kinds of room for 4 passengers comfortably in the xb.