Scissor Sisters - 'Comfortably Numb'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jan 31, 2004.

1. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Has anyone else heard this? I very rarely pay any attention to the charts, but someone played this to me today and I think it's great: a cover of Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb', done in an electro-clash disco style, complete with Barry Gibb-style falsetto vocals!

It's at number 10 in this week's charts.

Wondered if anyone else has heard of this band? They're tipped as one the big things for 2004 - their debut album is out on 2nd Feb - I may well pick it up.
  2. I think a lot of Floyd fans hate it, but i think it's quite funny with its BeeGees-style vocal, and the altered chord change in the chorus is interesting.

the Scissor sisters' debut single "Laura" sounded a bit too much like the theme to Thomas the Tank Engine though :p
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    hahaha. they make me laugh, plus i accidentaly crashed their aftershow party. Sure i got ejected but they gave me champagne before i went back upstairs :D
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Well, I bought the album today. A real mixed bag of styles - there's a couple of electro-disco tracks in the same vein as 'Comfortably Numb' - 'Lovers in the Backseat' has a definite Bowie influence. Some of the material is at the other end of the spectrum, acoustic pop rock - 'Mary' sound EXACTLY like classic 70s Elton John!

Not sure that it all make for a very consistent listen, but it's not bad at all.
  5. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003

That sounds really weird...

I'll pass, thanks. :rolleyes:
  6. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon

Ripping off Pink Floyd should be a federal offense.

I'm going to go puke now.
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'd have to agree with the last guy. Whenever I hear of somebody covering Floyd my first thought is -blasphemy.

Oh, and that band (scissors whatever) sounds extremely cheesy.

On a side note:
    I think the Flaming Lips did some or all of DSOTM at the second Bonnaroo? Can anybody confirm this? Also a few years ago in Utah, Phish covered DSOTM. Most people skipped this show (after Vegas and before CO) and they thought it would be funny to do something really cool for the few people that were there.
  8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've got the album, and I think it's pretty good. The first six tracks (Laura, Take Your Mama, Comfortably Numb, Mary, Lovers In The Backseat and boobies On The Radio) are my favourites - I'm less fond of the others. As David says, definitely a mixed bag - and very quirky too - like the Micheal Jackson-esque "Come On" in the chorus of Laura. I've gotta say, I do think Laura is a really good song, even if it does sound a little like the Thomas The Tank Engine theme.
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    LAURA!!! :D

THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME, I EVER DO YOUR HAIR! - possibly the campest line of any song ever written. <333
  10. Scissor Sisters look extremely camp. I'm not interested.

I don't like "Take Your Mama", that's the single floating around in Australia at the moment. Nup, I'd rather listen to some hardcore fiddy cent. Gang*!
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I only heard a little of that one... you know... the one where the dude is flying and sounds like Elton John. They look funny/sound good. I might pick up their CD someday...
  12. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    you really should Matt, you'd dig em.

they are also the only people in the last 8 years to have used the word shamone in a song without inciting weird looks.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I guess they would qualify as a Quirky Rock group.
  14. Here in the US their single is "Take Your Mama" which is really really catchy. Cool piano and guitar parts.

They're a little too, um, flamboyant for my tastes though.
  15. Too Elton John. One's enough for me. :D
  16. AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    I like em. My significant other has them in permanent rotation in her car. I'll have to say though that the Floyd song is the one I like the least on the album.
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Scissor Sisters + "Comfortably Numb" = [​IMG]

Sorry, I'm one of those PF fans that the remake makes sick.
  18. Whoa, d00d, that smilie's a bit... sick.