Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scmatic diagram of an amp needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrazyArcher, Aug 12, 2004.

1. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Hi all!
    If you happen to be interested in electronics, and have a scematic diagram of a simple amp (Up to 30 Watt), plz post it (or link to it) here.
    The matter is that I have no budget for an amp, and wanna build one myself. I have speakers and prts, but dont have a good sceme.
    Any help would be highly appreciated.

:help: :help: :help:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  3. Yep, billyb's right. You can buy a used head for $100 or less. Building anything will quickly cost you that much money--priced a transformer lately? or filter capacitors? Just those two items alone can eat up $100. How about heat sinks? Not cheap either.

We have to buy things in ones or twos, whereas Peavey buys them by the thousands. The big price break they get (on the purchased parts) more than offsets their manufacturing and distribution costs.

I think it's great to build your own amp, but not to save money. Build to learn, or to make something exotic, or just for the heck of saying "i built it". Those are valid reasons.

I would caution though that if you show up to audition for a serious gig and you're carrying a crappy-looking homemade amp, it doesn't make a good impression. A clean used amp, no problem. A homemade unit, possible problem.

Also bear in mind that homemade amps can be susceptible to hum and noise. Grounding inside a chassis can be an art sometimes...an amp manufacturer has already worked out the bugs for things like that.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. What nashvillebill said. Do you have a preference for tube or solid state? If tube, check schematicheaven.com. In that case, you could probably modify some kind of older tube amp, even an old tube radio or something. That might be a lot easier than starting from scratch.

5. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    You're right, a home-made amp isnt the best choice, but I have absolutely no cash, even for a used one. I dont need an amp for gigs, just to use at home. About the expensive parts - well, I'm lucky here, I can get some (if not most) stuff for free (diodes, transistors, and the power supply).

The site you've given, Billy, helped alot. I consider using it! \m/

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you're looking for an amp for home-use only...how about a headphone amp?

Check out www.cafewalter.com. While Walter builds and sells these highly regarded headphone amps through Bass NW and Vintage Bass Trading Co., he's also kind enough to publish the schematic on his site...

http://www.cafewalter.com/ha1/graphics/ha1_schematic.gif

If you go to the main page and click on the link for projects, he has a schematic for an interesting bass preamp.