Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SCN pickups weird size,help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I've ordered a set of the new Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups for my 5 string.I already have a set in one of my 4string basses and they are great.
    The problem I'm having is that the SCN pickups are longer that normal 5 string pickups.I could have the bass routed for the extra length,that's not the main problem.What makes it problematic is that the hole spacing of the mounting tabs are wider than the normal spacing and if I routed that, I would have some large gaps and it would look pretty bad.
    The bass that I'm modifying is my Moon JB 5. a really nice high end instrument.I don't want to ruin the appearance of it.
    I am wondering if there is a source for pickup covers that are longer but have the correct mounting hole spacing.
    The neck pickup is 4" long and the bridge pickup 4.125.The pickup screw spacing is 1.575" center to center.
    If I can't find a solution to make the SCNs fit I might have to look for some other type of pickup.I want a humbucking pickup that will give me the Marcus Miller Jazz sound on that bass.Ive tried Ultra's and also Basslines pickups on that bass and they are not what I'm looking for.

2. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the pickup length correlated w/ string spacing? Would this throw off the alignment of the strings to the pole pieces? Could you not relocate the mouting tabs on the pickup? Some pickups can have covers replaced rather easily, while you could possible destroy others in the process if they're cast in resin. Plus once you cut the wood away you can't put it back. Me, personally, I'd find a pickup that is made correctly for your bass. my $0.02

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If I recall, Fender has changed pickup sizes at least once in recent years for some models. So they aren't even compatible with their earlier sizes. For an example of this, look at the Bartolini catalog/site. I myself prefer basses that use the same pickup dimensions for both pickups.

Polepieces aren't neccesarily a problem; many totally encased pickups are using blades anyway, which sense any string spacing as long as the blade's sensing aperture is long enough to reach the outer strings' excursions.

4. The weird thing is that the string spacing is correct for the bass just the mounting tabs are spaced further apart and the body of the pickup is longer.Like I said I'm ok with routing the length just if I route for the new tabs I end up with holes where the old tabs used to be.I'm really hoping that I can find a way to install these pickups in my 5 because in my 4 string they sound wonderful.I just don't want to do any more routing than I have to because the bass is really nice.