1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SCN vs Ceramic Noiseless in Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wafu_vasco, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Hi there,
    I've got a '98 MiM Active Deluxe Jazz Bass which I've modded quite a bit. It currently has it's stock Ceramic Noiselss dual coil pick ups, and I was wondering whether to change them for the slightly newer SCN Jazz bass pick ups. Does anybody have any opinions on the tonal differences between the two types of pups, or any recommendations either way?
    Many thanks!

2. I found that both pickups sounded pretty similar. The SCNs have punchier mids and a stronger low end but neither is a drastic change from the Ceramics. What exactly are you looking for in your tone?

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I would be far more inclined to change to Fralin or Nordstrand hum canceling pickups.

4. I love the warmth of the neck pick up at the moment, but find the bridge pick up is a little too thin. I play with a lot of treble cranked up on the Jazz bass; I'm looking for that sort of ska-punk brightness, but without that annoying clacking sound you sometimes get with too much treble dialled on. One of my other basses is an Ibanez ATK which is very trebley and doesn't sugger from the clack, so I guess I'm looking for something closer to that but without losing that warmth that the Jazz bass has over an Ibanez.