1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SCN vs.Noiseless, Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jrex, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jrex

jrex

Jun 17, 2005
    SouthEastern Wi.
    Are the Sumarium cobalt pickups an upgrade to the sound of the active Fender Jazz basses or just a difference in tone? What is the difference? For those who have tried both.

2. I bought a set for my Modulus Jazz and I liked them so much I just ordered another set for my 74 Fender.A few months back I had bought a set onf the SCNs for my Moon JB 5 but the 5 string SCNs are longer and the mounting tabs are in a wider spacing.That would have required irreversible routing.No way on the Moon.So on that bass I have Nordstrand split coils.Also great pickups.I just wish the SCNs would have worked.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

see Dimento's J Experiment in FAQ. Two sets of Noiseless (one w/ceramic) and a pair of SCN's. Draw you're own conclusions.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own both sets of pups in two different basses and I will say that the SCN pups are warmer and more vintage sounding while still able to sonically have the range of the noiseless pups, if that makes any sense :)

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I agree with you. Vintage, yet modern. I find the more I
    boost the eq, the more modern the sound. I like the SCN's.

6. I just installed the CSNs in my 74 Jazz and I'm thrilled!
    They sound unbelievaby good.I don't relly understand what make them better than other noiseless pickups but they are.