SCNs don't fit,recommendations for my Moon Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Feb 10, 2006.

1. I'm frustrated.I recently bought a set of SCNs for my Moon JB-5.The covers are 4'' long and they would require major surgery to get them to fit because the mounting hole spacing is different from stock fender spacing.I don't want to cut into my bass because I'm not sure if I like the SCNs enough and after that there would be no way back and my beautiful Moon Bass would be trashed.
    So I'm back where I started and am looking for recommendations for a noiseless 5 string pickup.The bass has a OBP1 preamp and currently I have Ultras in it.I have also tried Basslines SJB5 pickups, but that was before I changed the preamp from an OBP3 (treble center 6.5k) to an OBP1 (center at 4k).I might try the Basslines again with the new preamp.
    I'm really looking for a pickup that will give me that Marcus Miller sound but it has to be noisefree.There doesn't seem to be much to choose from right now.I really wish I could make the SCNs work but I have made a lot of phonecalls and I can't find suitable replacement covers.Any ideas?
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Does the Moon bass have the same pup spacing as a Fender? Is the moon's rear pup the same distance from the bridge? Will the SCN pup (inards) fit into the Moon's pup cover clearing the magnet holes? If you answer no than I don't see how you can do this mod without major surgery:eek:
  3. The pickups are over 4" long.That's not the worst problem.The mounting tabs are spaced further apart that the normal distance so I would have to route those out too, leaving 4 gaping holes on each pickup cavity.The Moon Bass is too nice to do that to.I guess fender does not really want these pickups to be used on anything other than a Fender bass.
    I e-mailed with Michael Frank Braun from Fender to get some help and his suggestion was to buy a MM5.So much for that.
    I ended up putting a set of Basslines SJB5 pickups back into the bass..I had tried them previously with the old preamp(OBP3).
    I now have the OBP1 in the bass which has a lower treble center and now I have a combination that seems to work.With the OBP 3 the Duncans just sounded too thin.
    I think I'm going to leave the Moon Bass alone now.I still might trade it but probably not for a MM5.I've played several MM4s and they just did not really impress me that much.