Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scofield - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by uglycicles, Oct 11, 2005.

1. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Have been recently listening to John Scofield through some friends. Great stuff. I'm interested in picking up some recordings, but this guy seems to have such a diverse catalog, I'm not sure the best place to jump off.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Depends on what you're into. Sco has done a lot of different stuff throughout his career. My fave for funk is "Pick Hits Live"...Gary and Dennis are killin' on this disc. My fave for more acoustic stuff is "I can see your house from here" with Metheny. I've got a book of Sco transcriptions that I've messed with a little bit, but I need to do more, Sco has got it.

3. check out Uberjam and Up All Night...I especially like Uberjam.

There's one from the '70's called Loud Jazz that's cool too.

The one he did w/MMW called 'A Go Go' is really hip.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My fav are:

A Go Go
    Bump
    Uberjam

5. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    +1 A Go Go

6. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Cool, thanks guys. A good startin' point! :cool:

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    He has a great catalog to choose from......but a + 1 for the Pick Hits! :bassist: Gary Grainger has the funk!!

8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Actually, Loud Jazz is from the late 80's (I saw that tour too, Sco was KILLING that night!.

He does have an extremely diverse catalog, but someof my favorites include:

1. Who's Who (from 1979, featuring Anthony Jackson on bass)

2) Bar Talk, Shinola (a trio with Adam Nussbaum and Steve Swallow), early 80's.

3) His mid to late 80's jazz-funk stuff like "Still Warm", Blue Matter and Loud Jazz ALL EXCELLENT

4) A Go-Go (with Medeski Martin and Wood) Never got sick of this one no matter how many times I've listened.

5) Quiet A really cool Gil Evans-inspired album witha big band. Late 90's

6) Time on My Hands, a great quartet outing from the early 90's

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Last year's 'En Route' is great. Live trio recording with Bill Stewart and Steve Swallow. :bassist:

10. thanks for the correction. I had it on vinyl!

Sco's done quite a few different types of things, from funky groove stuff to super-intense straight ahead. I remember the 1st time I saw him I was expecting to hear 'Loud Jazz' and he was playing this very serious straight ahead stuff w/Joe Lovano that I just didn't quite get (I was a relative newbie to jazz at the time) ... so maybe start w/the funkier stuff if you dont want to get overwhelmed (A Go Go, Uberjam, etc)

11. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    If you like Scofield you should check out this album I have called "I Can See Your House From Here," with Pat Metheny on guitar as well. Killer stuff!

I also found a recording of Scofield and Jaco playing The Chicken; Scofield does the melody on guitar, and somebody is playing drums, it's good stuff too. If I'm not mistaken it's on the Jaco Pastorius Anthology double CD set.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's on the end of Jaco's video where he jams with Scofield and drummer Kenwood Dennard.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I agree.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I guess I'm in the minority-
    A Go Go doesn't do much for me...never did.

I haven't really given ScoLoHoFo a fair chance.

I'm more in the camp of-
    Pick Hits Live & Blue Matter + Sco's work on Patitucci's Sketchbook album & maybe the Cobham-Duke Band Live In Europe disc.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I started with Miles...

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    One of my all time favorites!

17. Well, I have a buck load of Scofield recordings ...BUT! I just saw him live on tuesday for the first time ...I'm telling you man, you don't know what you're missing! none of his recordings match his live performances, not even the live albums. So try to catch a concert. He's on tour promoting his ray charles album, which I just assumed would be lame, but that stuff was ROCKING big time!

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Why not start at the beginning? I think the first recording was Billy Cobham's CROSSWINDS, which is a great album.

Oooo, my bad. Abercrombie was on the recording. I saw the band when they were touring in support of the record and Scofield was in the band, doing tunes from CROSSWINDS and SPECTRUM. FUNKY THIDE OF SINGS looks like it was the first record Sco was on. Although I see a Jim Pepper record from 74...

19. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    FUNKY THIDE OF SINGS was in fact Sco's first disc with Billy. John had a couple cool quartet albums from the late 70's, "Rough House" and "John Scofield Live". He also played on an album with Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker, it was a concert at Carnegie Hall (about 1975 or '76 I think) that had some great stuff on it, especially "K-4 Pacific".

Baker/Mulligan-Carnegie Hall Concert

20. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    go for a go go