Scoop EQ pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JustSomeDude, May 18, 2018.

1. Looking for a simple quiet parametric. Just one or two bands would be fine.
    I mostly use passive PBass into an early B-15n. I like to cut mids pre-amp to get my driven tone right while keeping it big...

Just used a DOD Boneshaker which did pretty well but would like the option of keeping it cleaner than that. a8ehwekl1xfoyy61ys99.jpg

I have an Orange Two Stroke coming in the mail. I've used it on guitars before and it might work for this. The Q is pretty tight on it but not adjustable.
    ORANGE-TWO-STROKE-01.jpg
    I have also used a StoneDeaf PDF-2 but it is not tweak able...has a mind of it's own.

I've seen the Yamaha Nathan East pedal around....would have to try one to see if it does what I want.
    Any tips?

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    That Coyote and JustSomeDude like this.
  3. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Would a EWS BMC suit?

Tom Henry, wmmj and JustSomeDude like this.
  4. I've never seen that one. That's the idea.

5. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    The MXR M81 bass Preamp is very clean and hi-fi.

Al Kraft and Gearhead17 like this.
  6. I actually had a couple of those. The Preamp section adds hiss. If you need a preamp, it does sound good.

7. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Mine was impressively dead quiet. There's some internal switches to make it true bypass or buffered. Are you sure you wasn't boosting a silly amount of highs?

8. I am always playing into gained up amps so any noise gets crazy. I don't ever boost top end :)

9. I'm going to try one of these. There is a version II that doesn't have stacked pots and has a Volume control.....I am inclined to use the one that DOESN'T have the makeup gain.

10. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Mountains
    One other suggestion would be to check out Creation Audio Lab. They have the funkulator, which is a one-knob mid scoop that works very well. That same circuit is also in their Grizzly Bass OD, which also gives you knobs for hi cut, OD, and Dist. The clean knob on that has plenty of gain for your B15. So you could run it clean just using the mid-scoop, but still have the option to roll off some treble or dial in a bit more grit to push your amp. FYI - the enclosure is smaller than it looks - not a space hog on the board.

One other thing: The two versions of the EWS BMC have slightly different ranges for the adjustable frequency. So that may influence your decision a bit in terms of which one to get. As for the 'makeup gain' on the v2, it's more of an optional 10dB boost. The pedal itself should be at unity, though the amount of scoop/boost with the volume knob may give you some perceived volume changes.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    3wavylines and JustSomeDude like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Maybe a bit bigger and spendier than you were looking at, but check out the Aguilar Tonehammer DI. The bass and treble controls are at the end of the circuit but the mid control is before the clipping stage so has a drastic effect on the tone. You can scoop all the way to get a sound like a Sansamp BDDI, boost for more woolier drive sounds and anywhere inbetween.

JustSomeDude likes this.
  13. Squint

Squint Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Louisville, KY
    Not a parametric, but maybe a Damnation Audio Contour Pre would work? I haven't used one, just remember reading about it here on TB. @father of fires

father of fires likes this.
  14. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Richlands, NC
    I use a Boneshaker, its brutal, no two ways about it.
    Try the Tech21 Q-Strip for EQ.

15. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I had one of those when they came out around 18-years ago. I was playing with a guitar that was working at GC at the time. He gave to me as birthday present. When I protested saying that it was too much $ he replied, “it’s $12 my cost”. Brand new. In the box. MIJ I believe...

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It must have been a typo. I used to work in MI myself. There's some room in pedals and effects, but not nearly that much.

17. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    I have the Empress and it strikes a nice balance between being simple to use while also being highly configurable. Pretty quiet for a pedal, too. About the only drawback is the price, but that's relative and pedal deals are always there to be had. I'd go for it if your other options don't work out.

18. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I really like my tech 21 para DI. It has sweepable mids. Always able to dial in a pleasing tone.

19. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    Love it but it has a pretty big footprint, now I use Programmable EQ but it's not parametric.