Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scooped Aggie sound... help me understand that definition

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, May 12, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm curious about "scooped mids" everyone describes with the aggies. What frequencies would you all say they are lacking as compared to the bergs, ea, edens? I'm curious because when I do any eq'ing at all with my combo it is usually to boost at 50Hz and cut around 220Hz or somtimes 660Hz. Maybe it's just my combo, but I feel there's too much "honk" and way more D and G string than I like. Or does that honky sound have little to do with fequencies and more to do with cab construction? I'm hunting for something in the aggie pricerange that's thick, low and punchy (ala Charlie Hunter's mp3 Oakland at http://www.ropeadope.com/mp3/Oakland.mp3).

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Bino I'd say the "scoop" on the gs112s is about 500hz, or at least that is where I boost a little to cut through a little, but without being twangy or zippy when I move my fingers up or down the fret board. from my limited experience (see equipment profile) I find the aggies pleasantly low and thick without "booming" box sound. "punchy"?? I believe the aggies "come alive" with more power. I've run 150, 250 and 700watts through one gs112. 150 is not bad, just a little mellower in tone than higher power.

I'm VERY VERY happy with my gs112s.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I wouldn't describe the Aggie 4x10 as being scooped, but I would the 1x12's . . . let's not pideon-hole the entire Aguilar speaker line over the quality of jsut one of its products.

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Eric, you're right. I'm only referring to the 112, so I'll update the post title. I'm trying to figure out if scooped is the sound I'm after.