1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scooped Cabs Sound Warm??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dregsfan, Mar 16, 2010.

1. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Do scooped cabinets sound warmer than mid-present cabinets when played solo? Like home practice use. You hear about some cabs sounding good solo but don't punch thru in a band setting. Is that considered scooped? (eg. Aguilar GS-112) I need a practice cabinet that has a pleasant warm sound. Use Genz Benz Neo-Pak and 4 string passive. Thanks!!:D

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    "Warm" to me recalls a darker sound, which isn't usually associated with a scooped cab.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Entirely depends on interpretation of the word "Warm". Just like grind, growl, punchy and other bass buzz words, there's about 327 different ideas of what each mean.

I'd suggest playing your NeoPak through different cabs and deciding.
    (having gigged a neopak for a couple years prior to recently upgrading to an RH450, I'd suggest spending some time with the EQ functions on it... it's capable of quite a bit)

Also curious what you're currently playing the Neo Pak through.

4. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    I'm playing through an altec sub cabinet that came with a home theater system for home practice use. LOL. Thought I would try it before throwing it out and much to my amusement it sounds fine for practice purposes.

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    OT, but I love to use an old stereo cab with my practice amp.
    5W tube + paper tweeter = Yum

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

For solo practice, having a scooped cabinet will lull you into poor fretting technique.

A cab that shows up all the fret buzzes will force you to improve your fingerboard technique.

Practicing is to improve your playing, not just sound good!

7. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    IME, fret buzz sits well above the midrange, fully in tweeterville. I don't see how a scooped cab would minimize it.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Well, perhaps not a scooped cab, but one shouldn't have a complete loss of top end.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You might look to try an Avatar SB-112. That cab has a real pleasant tonality to it - to my ear it is one of the better 1x12's available until you get to the high end. it's warm but still well defined. I put one I had against some much more expensive cabs - and it held it's own if not a little more... For my ear, in commcercial (not DIY) cab's, the next step up is the Epi UL 112. I'm a fEarful convert these days and I can't see going back but when I see an SB-112 for sale - I always look twice ... Nice cab.

The guy I sold mine to is local. I don't think his MarkBass cab has left the house since ...

10. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I agree, that was a load of cockabullshido.

11. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    I'll tell ya one cab I've considered is the Bergantino EX112ER.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020