1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'Scooped' Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jack, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    How do guitarist get that scooped distortion sound heard so often. Im a one for effects and I was wondering how it would sound on my bass.

Thanks
    Jack

2. They cut out all/most of the mids. By itself it can sound good on bass but put it in a mix with loud guitars and you won't even hear it.

3. yeah i play scooped by myself and always used to play scooped a while ago, now im starting to take a liking to mids.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Personally, if I am going to an audition and find out the guitarists have scooped all their mids, and boosted the treble and bass, I automatically know it's going to suck. There is no way to tell what note they are playing, because they have scooped the note right out.

I think the best example of a bassist that scoops his tone and can still be heard well is Feildy :bag: But the guitarists in his band dont' kill their mids, and don't crank the gain all the way.

Try to get the whole band to work with the EQ as a whole, not as individual players. You shouldn't pursue your tone in a vacuum.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ahhhhh, so the eq is dipped in the middle, much like a scoop. I get it, thanks guys.

[FF] What did you say boy? I swear I must be going deaf... Could you please say what you MENT to post? ;)

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Effects is the only forum you can say something like that without getting lynched. Effects: the open-minded forum.

7. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Dude, but fieldy totally rocks in the sense that he can play through 2 guitarists and a drummer like butter. Yeah, his tone sucks. And yeah, he sucks. But he slices through like a crazed, disgruntled post-office ninja :x

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes, I actually said I liked fieldys tone, but I was REALLY drunk.

Disclaimer: If anyone reads my profile and realises Im only 13, I wasnt really drunk, just stoned. :D