Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Scooped' Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jack, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    How do guitarist get that scooped distortion sound heard so often. Im a one for effects and I was wondering how it would sound on my bass.

Thanks
    Jack

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    They cut out all/most of the mids. By itself it can sound good on bass but put it in a mix with loud guitars and you won't even hear it.

3. yeah i play scooped by myself and always used to play scooped a while ago, now im starting to take a liking to mids.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Personally, if I am going to an audition and find out the guitarists have scooped all their mids, and boosted the treble and bass, I automatically know it's going to suck. There is no way to tell what note they are playing, because they have scooped the note right out.

I think the best example of a bassist that scoops his tone and can still be heard well is Feildy :bag: But the guitarists in his band dont' kill their mids, and don't crank the gain all the way.

Try to get the whole band to work with the EQ as a whole, not as individual players. You shouldn't pursue your tone in a vacuum.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ahhhhh, so the eq is dipped in the middle, much like a scoop. I get it, thanks guys.

[FF] What did you say boy? I swear I must be going deaf... Could you please say what you MENT to post? ;)

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Effects is the only forum you can say something like that without getting lynched. Effects: the open-minded forum.

7. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Dude, but fieldy totally rocks in the sense that he can play through 2 guitarists and a drummer like butter. Yeah, his tone sucks. And yeah, he sucks. But he slices through like a crazed, disgruntled post-office ninja :x

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes, I actually said I liked fieldys tone, but I was REALLY drunk.

Disclaimer: If anyone reads my profile and realises Im only 13, I wasnt really drunk, just stoned. :D