1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"scooped mids for slap"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 7, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive heard people say scooping the mids makes slap sound better,

i dont quite understand what they mean by scoop. is it to boost cut the mids and to boost bass and treble?

or is it the other way around

2. Cut the mids, and boost the bass and treble. The frequency you cut will depend on what type of bass you have.

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Scoop would look like a valley with the lows and highs at about the same height and the mids dipped lower than the other 2.

You can have it flat and scoop the mids or you can crank the lows and highs only, it is up to you.
    Just remember, it is sometimes better to cut what you have than boost what you dont have... Some people swear by flat EQ, others only boost a tiny bit and if they do it is only in certain aread and not all of them.

4. Funny, when I slap, I BOOST my mids, about 200/250K, makes it cut more!

I've always HATED that scooped mid thing, makes you just VANISH in a mix.

:spit:

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    +1

6. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Usually the mids are scooped, but it depends on the bass/amp/cab you are using.

7. That's funny, I actually boost my mids a bit at 250 as well. I was answering the "scooped" part of his question. I always have mids boosted to a varying degree (and frequency) depending on if I am playing slap/fingerstyle/etc.

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    When you scoop the mids too much clicking occurs... If you have no idea what that is then take a listen to a koRn album.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    It is almost always better to boost the bass and treble a little rather than cut mids. There are exceptions of course.....

10. +1

I have alot of fun slapping by simply engaging my boost buttons for Bass and Treble on my Eden Head.

I don't mess w/ the mids, but add hit the two boost buttons.

Slap sounds awesome (to me) like this. The bottom end is so thick n' fat sounding.

though, its overwhelming for fingerstyle (again, for me)

Long live the boost buttons!

11. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I like the mid-cut button on the Epi 502, I can go from finger to slap by using the mid-cut on the peddle.

12. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I don't boost or cut anything, the sound I play finger style with works well with slap also.

13. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I cut TREBLE when I slap, not mids as such.

And I agree, scooping mids = getting lost in the mix

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you get a Musicman, then it doesn't matter where you have the onboard EQ set when you slap. It always sounds good.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

You never know what'll sound good. Depends on your bass, your amp, your technique. I knew a guy who used a hard V EQ shape on his rig. his bass sounded great for slap and fingerstyle, and I could always hear him in the mix.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I usually run a slight scoop for any style on my 400+. However, I engage the bright switch on vo,ume 2 and it gets great slap tone.

17. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I find it much better when slapping to cut the 1kHz - 2.5KHz area. So you keep the low-mid punch.

18. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I too a fan of this methodoligy.

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Mids are your friend, do not be afraid.

20. I seem to run into people who think they need to cut the mids out for slap at Guitar Center a lot. Some guy will be sitting there with the amp all smiley faced EQ'd, wanking away like mad and sounding like carp. Good tone is as important as one's degree of wankability.