1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scooping and boosting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Sorry for the silly question but whats the difference :confused:

If you scoop does that mena turn down. I'm pretty sure i can guess what boost is :meh:

soory for being an idiot :D

Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Scooping means cutting down on the midrange and raising the bass and treble. The term comes from what a parametric EQ looks like if you set it as so - it forms a scoop shape.

Boosting simply means raising something - could mean raising the volume, or anything for that matter. You may have heard someone say boost the mids, which would be the opposite of scooping the mids.

3. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Scoop and boost are unrelated.

Scooping refers to "smiley face" EQ, where the Lows are turned up, mids turned down, and highs turned up. On a graphic EQ, this looks like a smiley face. It produces a cool slap or solo tone, but IME doesn't cut through a mix very well.

Boosting generally refers to an overall volume increase.

4. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    thanks for replies :)

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Well put!

Lowering the mids when practicing may be ok, but I HAVE to boost my mids when playing live or I just get lost in the mix.