1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Score confusion

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Tex Gore, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Tex Gore

Tex Gore

Oct 13, 2009
    Hi,

Apologies if this is a basic question - I am entirely new to double bass and have only worked from musical score on the piano.

I understand that the low E on my DB is the one below the G 'line' on the bass-clef stave. To put it another way, it looks like middle C on the treble clef.

If that's the case, then I'm baffled as to why I downloaded some sheet music today for a small ensemble including DB, and almost the whole thing was lower than that E note.

Have I misunderstood something here?

Thanks in advance,

Tex

2. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    You are correct in your understanding of where low E notation is for the double bass. I suspect that the arranger did not realize that the double bass sounds an octave below the written part, and in working out the arrangement on a piano, wrote out the actual notes that he/she was playing. I would just transpose it up an octave, and play it that way.

3. S'gotta be it. I'll bet he/she arranged it on a piano grand staff and just kept going on down.

The low E on your bass is an E1, not an E2. I guess technically bass charts should have a little "8" below the F clef, right? But you don't often see it written in.

Edit: Having said that, I just today (2009.10.19) received a bass book written by a pro bassist and teacher who treats the bass clef normally instead of as 8vb. He uses ledger (leger) lines below the bass clef so that E1 is under the fourth ledger line. So go figure.