Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Score?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by giantjerk, Oct 10, 2004.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Acoustic 406 cabinet, above average exterior shape, minor scuffs in the tolex, 2 newer JBL 15 inch speakers, $100.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  3. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I got the cabinet home and took out one of the drivers to check things out. Found the original purchase receipt and receipt for the replacement drivers inside the cabinet.

I called the guy I bought it from to tell him this. He told me that he thought he had lost that paperwork a long time ago. He recalled placing it on top of cab a couple years ago and it disappeared.

I figure he placed the receipts in the slot port, tipped the cabinet back and it fell inside.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well...what did the receipts say (and when are their dates?) :hyper:

5. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Ok, it gets better. The guy I bought the cab from called and said he had the original drivers and if I wanted them I could have them.

What I picked up was 2 15" EV SRO speakers.

The purchase receipt is from spring 1977.

I pulled the top driver out of the cabinet and inside the cab the following is written in black marker:

Ralph Sr. (signature) 4cc: 11-24-1976

bottom section of the cab is signed on the inside by Jim

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    True SROs...not EVMs? Real SROs (well EV used the name SRO on the EVMs before Kustom bought the name in the mid-late '70s when they put EVM/SROs in tolex covered Kustom cabinets) are rear loading only. The mounting flange isn't flat on the back like most modern speakers. Given that, if they truly are original SROs (and the 406 was built during the transition period for SROs to EVMs) I doubt that they're the original speakers because all Acoustic cabinets (except the folded horn cabinets) were front loading as the back doesn't come off. Acoustic used either CTS or Eminence with white domes on them...other options included Altecs, but I'm not sure if they were available on the 406.

At any rate, a free pair of SROs is an awesome thing...I'm truly, truly jealous!!!! Your ROCK!!!

If they're not in working condition, WeberVST does an excellent job reconing for low bux...they did some original SROs and some EVMs for me and I've been very happy.

What I was really asking is how much was the cabinet when it was new???

7. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    These are true SROs and not EVMs. The model number is 15B. They have the cast white frame, black finned magnet and silver decal with black type. They also have the spring retaining clips for the leads.

The guy also gave me a receipt showing that the SRO's had been reconed here locally at a high quality shop in 1995 for $194.

The original purchase price for the cabinet was $499.00.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Cool...actually those are transition SROs (EVM like frame and magnet cover) and front mountable... Great speakers!!!

The original SROs had smooth champaign colored frames, white non finned magnet covers and had to be mounted from the back. Great speakers too!!!

Needless to say, I love EVs!!!